Pump/filter pressure low when connecting Zodiac

Dec 25, 2013
Just moved into home and have a Whisperflow pump with Pentair FNS Plus filter with Zodiac G3 cleaner.

Under normal operation (no cleaner attached), everything seems fine - in the pump window I can see its full of water, there is no air in the system and the filter PSI is at 12.

When I connect the Zodiac, the pressure drops to at most 2 PSI, get some air in the system, and in the pump window can see its not full but it is moving water. The Zodiac does appear to be working. But I believe it should be working under the same conditions as when its not connected, true?

The pump basket and skimmer baskets are clean, I put the Zodiac up next to the water outlet to make sure the air got out before connecting it up. If I lift up certain parts of the Zodiac hose while its operating, where the hose connections are, I can hear a sucking noise. But how are these supposed to be completely air tight fittings? It doesnt seem feasible. Is that the problem?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
Is that the problem?
Yes. The connection(s) are leaking air into the system which at least partially unprimes your pump and your flow drops to a fraction.

That's why your psi drops.....there is not enough flow (because of the air leak).

You must find a way to seal those leaks(s). You may have more than one. Once they are sealed, your zodiac wiill perform and the flow through your pump will return fairly close to normal.....you will lose a little psi but not much.

A properly functioning circulatory system will have no air anywhere within.

If the Zodiac came with the house check the hose ends for splits and cracks. I have a Zodiac Ranger that uses the same type of hose sections and when they started to crack and split they would leak air into the system. I dunk the hose sections vertically into the water to force the air out and connect them underwater to minimize trapped air. Be sure to store the hoses out of the sun and they will last longer.

Is there any sealer or silicone I can use on the joints? I still find it hard to believe they will be airtight by just pushing together. I have some pool lube I use on the pump cap, perhaps would help?

I had kept the hose coiled up in a plastic bin and am wondering if that helped create the problem. I read later the manual says to keep it stored uncoiled but who has room for that? Maybe I would have to just disconnect the sections each time.

Also just found the zodiac Flowkeeper valve in the box, the previous owner did not have this connected. Would this make any difference? I do connect the Zodiac right into the skimmer port (no cleaner port).

OK I tried the Flowkeeper.

On setting 1, the filter goes down to 10 PSI, but it stays on one side of the pool only.

On setting 2, the filter goes down to 8 PSI, and it reaches just over halfway down the pool, but there is also more air entering the system.

Maybe this is why the previous owner did not use the flowkeeper at all.

The other thing is the jets are at the opposite side so believe they are pushing the zodiac away from that side of the pool. I could try some of the diverter covers and see if that helps. With both jets at the opposite side of the skimmer/port, any advice on best way to point the jets? The manual just says down, but it still seems the water flow would all be going against the zodiac.

Any other advice to make this work properly? It would be nice to keep the flowkeeper at 1 so the pump is not working so hard and I dont get the air in the system. At 1 the zodiac still vacuums, it just cant make it past halfway of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.