Stonescape vs. Pebble-Tec

Dec 24, 2013
I am faced with having to redo the surface of my pool.

I currently have a Black Lagoon Pool made by Pebble-Tec. I am considering switching to the Stonescape Midnight Blue.

Does anyone know if Stonescape is as a good (long lasting) of a product as Pebble-Tec? More importantly, does anyone have experience with Stonescape's Midnight Blue finish?

No experience sorry, but welcome to TFP!

Stonescapes has a very good reputation, and some high end pool builders use it here in Texas. Wet Edge and CLI also make some fine products. Most here are tired of hearing me say this, but it seems all these brands are about the same in quality if installed correctly. One elite TX builder told me he doesn't really have a preference in the "big three" because he's never had to replace any of them over the last 20 or so years they've been doing them. Darker Blue finishes tend to be much more expensive than others in the same line of products for all brands just FYI. Are you replacing it because of problems or just want a new color in the pool? No matter, just curious.

I updated both the inside and outside of my house to give it a more modern look. I replaced the deck and coping that surround my pool and I removed the rock waterfall that gave the area a "lagoon" look and I built a more "modern" waterfall.

I am considering replacing the PB because after @20 years there are signs of "wear" on the steps and in other parts of the pool. I have several options in dealing with this issue:

1. Leave the surface "as is"
2. "Patch" the areas in the pool that are worn
3. Resurface the pool in a color that is more in keeping with the "updated" look of my home

I have already concluded that if I resurface the pool having "aggregate" in the mix is a must if I don't want to resurface the pool again for another 20 years.

If I resurface the pool I have narrowed down my resurfacing options to:

Stonescape Midnight Blue-

or

Stonescape Tahoe Blue -

However, I have NOT decided if I want to use the small stones, or the bigger stones.

I am going to get a quote for resurfacing the pool using PB in another color.

We did our new build with Stonescape and used the small pebble - I don't think I'd like anything bigger/more coarse.

FWIW our plaster guy said that anyone can get Stonescape, while you must be certified to get Pebbletec but beyond that difference he thought they were very equivalent and either one, if properly applied, would give a good service life. The key was -- properly applied... Our stonescapes came with a warranty but honestly with all the hoops and loopholes it had I do wonder if they would honor it or point to water quality and skate. I hope not to ever find out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, now I have samples from PT and SC. It's time to place them in glass dishes and put them in the pool.

davelinde, you make an excellent point about PT using "certified" installers. PT and SC look so much alike that In the end it all boils down to who I trust to apply the product.

Pebbletec does have their certified application training and licensing. However, the materials are twice the cost. When I talked to my sub, her told me the pebbles are the same in both products, the stonescapes are $14.00 a bag and Pebbletec is $28.00 a bag. My friend who managed my project has built dozens of pools with stonescapes and has not had a signals problem. He has used the same application sub for 8 years so he knows their work is quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with others on this thread and similar prior threads that going with Pebble-tec does not necessarily insure a problem free install. The certification is not obtained by alll crew members who are installing the finish, which in many instances determines the outcome of the finish.

The recommended way to chose is to get bids from at least 4 companies and make your decision only after you have seen at least two recent installs from the companies responding to your RFQ.

My Stonescape contractor referred me to several recent installs, which not only helped me determine the quality of his work, but the mini pebble color I ended up having installed. There simply is no substitute for this means of deciding both who you should go with and the finish.

Reactions: Fseminario
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.