Pool Dial Timer

Dec 24, 2013
I have a Intermatic mechanical/dial time switch. I don't have the specific manufacturer number but similar as to ones many have. Yellow dial. I have reviewed several postings but they all seem to reflect issues where the motor gears are not running etc. My specific problem is the motor is running as are the gears. The dial stopped moving. It is not the tripper pins and the dial is in the correct position where it should turn. Stopped working a few days ago. I can manually turn the pump off and on from the switch. Could it still be a motor issue? I have had clocks where the motor is running but the correct time is never maintained. What other reasons could the dial not move? Thanks.

Thanks Bama Rambler. I will pull it out in a couple of days and see if I can turn all the gears. If I get any other responses will followup as needed. I will just work it manually until after Christmas. Will let you know.

It's probably just the clock motor. Easily replaced and cheap. Right above the clock dial is a oval hole of which you can shine a light in and see if the gears on the clock motor are turning. If they aren't, then that is most likely the issue. Turn off all power and pop the time out of the box, get the motor numbers off the back and order a new one.

Thanks ps0303 but not the motor as the gears are still running and I can see that plus hear the motor run. I was hoping it was that as cheaper to replace than the timer part. Could it still be the motor even though all appears to be running? The dial does not move. That is in the proper position as are the trippers. In my original post I mentioned have had clocks that run off electric but as their motor gets older they no longer keep the correct time.

You could have a broken gear then. You will need to pull the clock timer out and look at it. The most common issue with a clock on staying up on time or moving is the motor but sounds like yours is running. So check the gears.

You can get the whole mechanism with case cheaper than buying just the mechanism. You can sell the case on ebay. The clock motor is pretty cheap.

Here's a link for a replacement T101M 115V (Mechanism only) $42
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERMATIC-T101 ... 1269095058?

Here's a link for a replacement T104 (230V) (Mechanism Only) $46
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTERMATIC-T104 ... 1332112965?

Here's the whole T101 (115V) cheaper the mechanism snaps out of of the case $28
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intermatic-Mech ... 1240394987?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Bobodaclown. I actually saw those on ebay but wasn't sure if they could be easily removed from the case. Now I know that. I know little about electric so how do I determine the voltage I have? 115 vs 230V? I looked on the timer and all over the enclosure and do not see anything as to that. I am going to start with replacing the motor then see if it works. If not then will purchase the timer as well. I would have replaced both as near 20 years old.

The motor lists 125V 60HZ. Would I go with a range that includes 115V to.......? Possibly a T103? I have wires going to just 3 terminals as best I can tell. There is the T100 series and the Intermatic firm states it depends on the voltage and number of terminals. I ordered a motor and noticed earlier it had stopped running. Power was still going to the timer and I am using it manually as to the pump. I think the motor was nearing an end. Once I receive it and install I will advise. If necessary I will let the pool store tech look at the timer so I end up with the correct one. Thanks again.

To finish this one I received and replaced the motor and all is working well. Before the motor stopped it was running for a few days but the yellow dial was not moving. I appreciate those that responded.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.