Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will lighting the pool attract mosquitoes

1. Back To Top    #1

Will lighting the pool attract mosquitoes

I am thinking of installing some lights in my agp but am worried about getting bitten to death by mosquitoes. What does everyone else do about this?
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will lighting the pool attract mosquitoes

Tiki Torches
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Be careful if you are near a wooded area. I haven't found the increase in mosquitoes to be the problem so much as the bats that swoop down to eat them. Not very romantic...
    35,000 gal vinyl, Hayward DE Filter, Hayward 400k BTU heater, SWG, Polaris 380 w/booster pump, plenty of dog hair in the skimmers.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mosquitoes are not attracted to light. They are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we exhale, so if you don't want to attract them then don't breath!
    Citronella torches and candles work well if you have them all around the perimeter of the pool and there are propanes driven mosquito attractors that you can use to keep them away from the pool. They aren't cheap but they do work!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, got it. Surround the pool with special torches, try not to breath, dodge bats and take on second job to pay for the propane driven mosquitoe attractor. Hmmmmm. Doesnt sound like much fun.
    Oval 18'x12' Quick Up Pool. 16" Sandfilter. FSP400 3/4hp pump. Duratech3 heat exchange pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by angela
    OK, got it. Surround the pool with special torches, try not to breath, dodge bats and take on second job to pay for the propane driven mosquitoe attractor. Hmmmmm. Doesnt sound like much fun.
    Either that or stock up on DEET!

7. Back To Top    #7

Waterbear - what is DEET?

8. Back To Top    #8

it's what used to keep hundreds of thousands of people in Africa from dying of malaria.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

9. Back To Top    #9

Colourific lights? How do you dodge the mosquitoes?

10. Back To Top    #10

It's the active ingredients in products like Bullfrog and Off. It's a bug repellant.

11. Back To Top    #11

DEET = N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

12. Back To Top    #12

We had a bat for a bit come visit us at dusk.

I used to go swimming right then, because it was kinda fun to have it swooping around inside our small fenced in backyard that is almost all pool.
    Jim

13. Back To Top    #13

I have to echo the bats being a problem more than mosquitos with the light. But then again, the bats are only there to eat the mosquitos so maybe it isnt a problem after all, but they(the bats) sure do like it when the light is on at night. I don't think you will have to worry too much about mosquitos, heck, just get back in the water since they can't bite under water.
    Install the lights and see how it goes.......you may not have many mosquitos at all to deal with and may not ever see a bat swooping the light. I had bats last summer at night swimming several times but haven't seen one yet this summer swimming after dark--granted I've only done that 2 or 3 times.
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

bats kind of freaked me out for awhile until i read more about them
    http://www.batsnorthwest.org/basic_bat_FAQs.html

15. Back To Top    #15

OK I am encouraged. I will seek out an inexpensive light to give it a try and see what happens.

16. Back To Top    #16

Most people around here seem to have gone without a light after their first liner replacement. Total bug magnet in Winnipeg. We have floodlights on the garage that sort of light up the pool though.