water loss while pump is on

skypa

Dec 20, 2013
Toowoomba, Australia
I am experiencing rapid water loss mainly while the pump is on but cannot see any visible signs. Pool shop guys want to replace the HP Valve before anything else is done. I have also noticed a gurgling sound from the backwash pipe after the pump (on recirculate) is switched off. I am convinced that the loss is not just evaporation. Can anyone advise in what order I should check for leaks?

Hi, welcome to TFP! First check the spider gasket on your multi- port valve. It should be seated well and in good shape with minimal signs of wear.

You can do a bucket test to see if the water loss is evaporation or not. Partially fill a bucket with pool water and mark the water line inside the bucket with a sharpie. Place the bucket on a step in the pool. Make another line on the outside of the bucket to mark that water line. Let the pool sit undisturbed for 24 hours and mark the inside and outside water levels again. Compare the two sets of water lines. If the water loss is due to evaporation the lines should be about the same distance apart. If you have a leak the outside lines will be farther apart than the inside lines.

2" in five hours is not evaporation....you have a leak.

You say that it occurs when the pump is running so that would indicate a pressure side leak. You also indicate it is occurring when you are positioned on "recirc" so that eliminates the filter and plumbing to and from the filter.

It really does seem like the spider gasket is the issue. Even though you can't see it (for now), the logical first choice explanation is the multiport is allowing pumped water to find it's way out the backwash pipe.

A cracked pressure side pipe is a possibility but, by far, the easiest first place to look first is inside the multiport.

:? Backwash pipe is all above ground. Sounds like it may be somewhere in the return pipe. Can anyone tell me if the Hydrostatic Pressure Valve would lose more water whilst the pump is operating? Guys at the pool shop seem to want to replace that first (even without seeing the pool yet).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.