Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Roly-Polys

1. Back To Top    #1

Roly-Polys

[Moved by SeanB - you are correct. This is clearly not an advanced topic. The bird thread will also be moved.]

Ok, this isn't exactly an advanced topic, but if dead birds belong in this forum then maybe roly- polys do too . . .

My pool is surrounded by woods, so bugs come with the territory. I've always had a few roly-polys in the pool - no big thing. But this year, for some reason, I've got a bumper crop. Literally hundreds drown every night.

I'd rather they meet an untimely death outside the pool than in it, or prevent them from suicide altogether. Any experience or ideas?

Coty
    22,000 gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 hp pump, 300lb sand filter (switched from DE), converted from baquacil (thanks to Ben), BBB since 2004

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Roly-Polys

Do you have a tree hanging over the pool?
    This happened to me as my Elm tree was giving up the ghost.
    I had thousands of the little boogers falling in everyday and only a couple of branches were near the pool.
    My resolution was to cut the tree down as it was almost dead anyway.
    Pool configuration:
    20K Gal inground vinyl liner-1 skim 1 main 2 return
    hayward c3000 cart. filter
    hayward northstar 1.5hp pump
    hayward 250k btu heater
    polaris watermatic G1000 chlorine feeder
    polaris c-300 orp controller
    Polaris 380 with booster
    aquamatic hydraulic pool cover

3. Back To Top    #3

No, there's no overhang. They're just all around. I often see them crawling around on the bricks near the pool. If anyone leaves a wet towel overnight near the pool, in the morning there will be many roly-polys underneath.

Coty
    22,000 gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 hp pump, 300lb sand filter (switched from DE), converted from baquacil (thanks to Ben), BBB since 2004

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll trade you your roly-polys for my sun spiders and cockroaches. I'm about ready to go over the wall to the desert behind us and start bombing. We are being invaded, too. Ahhh, summer......
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by tcpiii
    No, there's no overhang. They're just all around. I often see them crawling around on the bricks near the pool. If anyone leaves a wet towel overnight near the pool, in the morning there will be many roly-polys underneath.

Coty
    The only thing you can do is give them nowhere to hide. If they can find a damp spot they will hang out there.
    How can you keep dampness from a pool? You got me there.
    You would probably have to keep the pool deck clear and dry so they will be less likely to make the trek to the pool.
    I think they avoid salt just like slugs. Try to salt 'em.
    Pool configuration:
    20K Gal inground vinyl liner-1 skim 1 main 2 return
    hayward c3000 cart. filter
    hayward northstar 1.5hp pump
    hayward 250k btu heater
    polaris watermatic G1000 chlorine feeder
    polaris c-300 orp controller
    Polaris 380 with booster
    aquamatic hydraulic pool cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasmom
    I'll trade you your roly-polys for my sun spiders and cockroaches. I'm about ready to go over the wall to the desert behind us and start bombing. We are being invaded, too. Ahhh, summer......

Glad to see i am not the only one fighing with sun spiders we get scorpions too.
    6,000 gal. IG FG pool Sta-Rite max-e-pro 3/4hp
    Sta-Rite system 2 cart. filter
    Sta-Rite 200k BTU heater
    Tiger River Bengal spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by twisties
    Glad to see i am not the only one fighing with sun spiders we get scorpions too.

Isn't the desert great? I've been here almost 30 years but I've only seen 3 scorpions. I have mixed feelings about the sun spiders because they're really harmless and they eat a lot of bugs. My kids are just so afraid of them and they are rather scary looking. Hard to enjoy sitting outside at night with them crawling around. And the cockroaches can fly!
    No Cover Charge
    17,000 gal IG w/ raised 8' spillover spa, 3M plaster, 10' stainless rain WF, Pentair SAM lights, Sta-Rite Sys3 cart. filter, Intellichlor SWG, 400kBTU Gas Heater, Paramount IF Cleaners, ET-8 Wireless Remote

8. Back To Top    #8

Some years I have this issue, some, like this year, none at all. Just the nature of the beast, I figure.

9. Back To Top    #9

Roly-polys (also called pill bugs or medicine bugs) eat only decaying vegetation (including wet rotting wood or landscape timbers), so make sure all that kind of stuff is far away from your pool. They are NOT insects but related to lobsters etc and prefer dampness. They eat up stuff you don't want around anyway so don't kill them if you can avoid it.

Tabby
    15 foot diameter round, 4600 gallon, above ground metal-framed vinyl pool with crappy filter/pump, no skimmer (- just me with leaf net), added extra pump/filter underwater inside, placed in full sun with no cover, no heater. Used 2x a week. Filled wtih new water May 2007.

10. Back To Top    #10

tcpiii,

I feel you pain. I am in Indian Trail and the roly polys this year have been awful. It must be the region. hopefully this is a once in a few years type of thing

Branden
    16 X 34 21,000 IG Vinyl Liner
    1 1/2 Hayward SuperPump
    New Sand Filter (had cartridge - hated them)