Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad Taste

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad Taste

What could be causing the water to taste bad?

I started this season with an uncovered swamp. But have a crystal clear pool now with good chemical levels. My TA is high at around 200, but everything else is in range. I use bleach for chlorine. The only thing I have down differently this year is, I used 1 bottle of sodium bromide under bad advice from the pool store, and I occasionally put in a calcium hydrochloride puck when I am away for a few days.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad Taste

The sodium bromide might caused a "chemical" smell, which might affect the taste, but the sodium bromide will have dissipated after a couple of days.

You should post a full set of water test results. That might give us a hint about what is going on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    Ph 7.8 - 8.5
    TA 310
    Cal 71
    CYA 50

The Ph and TA are much much higher then the last test done about a week ago. These tests were taken about 30min after a rain though, if that makes a difference. A week ago the Ph was 7.5 ans TA was about 220. The bad taste has been there since the first swim of the season, first week of June. The taste is a bit salty but not quite like salt water, and I have not put any salt in this water.

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

4. Back To Top    #4

Your TA is way too high and you should keep PH at 7.8 or below at all times (that will be easier if you bring down the TA). See this Pool School article for directions on lowering TA.

Your FC level is right at the lower limit for that CYA level, and combined with the high PH reading, your FC level is really too low. You need to get PH down and FC up.

But none of those things really explain the bad taste. That has me stumped.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

After doing some searching online, I have found some talk about TDS, or Total Dissolved Solids. Apparently if this is too high it can cause a bad taste. Do you know of a way to test for TDS?