Replacing My Old STA-RITE Posi-Flo Pool Filter PTM 100

MrPat

Dec 18, 2013
Ponce Inlet FL
My filter is starting to leak at the bottom. The filter tank was installed in 2003 and the plastic is looking sun damaged. I am looking at Hayward and Pentair. Is one better than the other? Any others I should consider?

Thanks

MrPat said:
The pump is a 1.5 HP Single speed Sta-Rite model MPFA6F-147L. Is there any reason to replace this when I buy the new filter? Are similar single speed pumps still available?
The pool is about 6500 gal.

Thanks, Pat
For your small pool another 100 sq. ft. cartridge will be fine (though going larger won't hurt).

As for the pump, yours appears to be a 1.5 hp full-rated pump, and if it is, it moves a lot of water, and it is quite large for your pool unless you have high volume water features such as waterfalls, massage jets, etc. Do you? No need to replace it if it is running fine, but if you do replace the motor with a 2-speed as bobo mentioned, you then can run on low most of the time and save some electricity...or you could follow duraleigh's idea and go with a smaller 2-speed pump which will save you even more running on low. A third approach is to replace the motor and impellor with a smaller "hp" size, and this would be like going with a smaller pump.

MrPat said:
Thanks guys. When the motor dies I'll get a 1 up motor
If you mean pump here, then a 1 hp (or even 3/4) would be a good choice again assuming you have no high volume water features (do you?). If you meant motor, as in just replacing the motor on the pump, then if you decrease the motor size, you will also have to decrease the impeller size.

Thanks. The only water feature is a small spa. We never use the connected spa, but water does run into it and then into the pool via a "water falll". When I replace the pump I will replace the entire assembly (pump, motor, basket).

Well if you ever want to use the spa, you probably do not want to go any smaller in pump size (may even want to go bigger for better jet action), so a 2-speed of similar size or a vs pump might make sense when it is time to replace. What does your electricity cost?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like your set...again we generally recommend a 2-speed pump when replacing since you will likely save significant electricity with with it over a single speed. What pump model number did you get?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.