New Pool - Allen, TX

Jun 27, 2013
Allen, TX
I posted earlier and received a lot of great advice. Thanks for that! At that time we had pretty much decided on one of the 4 builders that we had approached but that ended up falling apart. Long story, but essentially the sales guy asked us to go with somebody else because he had discounted the pool so much he was afraid he was going to lose money. I didn't want to mess around with a builder who might try to cut corners so they could make money on the job so we obliged and went with our second choice. It's costing me more but I'm much more comfortable now. The builder we chose has built pools for 4 of our friends/neighbors in the past few years, so we feel good about them. So far, it has been a great process. See the pics below for the progress so far. Gunite is scheduled for later today.

Attachments

• photo 10.JPG
    photo 10.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 440
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 418
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 420
Moving along. Everything is super dusty so the colors aren't very accurate as to what they'll look like in the end. We're very pleased with how everything is going. Hope everyone had a Happy New Year!

Attachments

• photo 17.JPG
    photo 17.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 313
  • photo 16.JPG
    photo 16.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 312
  • photo 14.JPG
    photo 14.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 311
Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer. I quickly took a few pics this morning. Deck was poured Monday. Probably about 2 weeks till plaster (stonescapes) and then we'll have water! Very few bumps so far. I've got one issue with the coping around the spa that I'll post about later today when I get a few more minutes.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 244
  • photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 245
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 246
So, this is a very minor problem, but kind of annoying. Let me start by saying that the stone guys were awesome and I'm really impressed with their skill. However, I was a little surprised that they would put this stone in such a prominent spot. I know there is a lot of natural variation in the stone color (this is Tennessee Flagstone called "Silvermist"), but as you can see from the pictures, this is one stone that looks nothing like the rest. The builder says he'll have them replace it, although I've asked several times and he always tries to talk me out of it a little before saying that he'll get them to do it soon. I know nothing at all about stone work. Is it that big of a deal to replace this one stone? I still shake my head at why they would have gone ahead and placed this stone in probably the most prominent place in the whole build.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 238
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 239
I also think it should be replaced. While they are doing it, I would have them remove that little triangle piece and re-cut the piece to the right (in the picture) so that the coping pieces join together smoothly like the ones farther to the right.

Nice looking pool by the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I always love to see steps and multiple levels in pools builds whenever possible. I just gives the design more character. On that one piece of stone; you would have thought that they would have thrown that piece out and not even used it. I did not see that color anywhere else in your pictures.
Beautiful pool!!

Recent weather held things up a bit, but we are finally filling with water today! Very excited to have this project coming to completion. It has been very smooth and the PB was great to work with, but still glad to be done. We went with French gray mini pebble Stonescapes for the plaster. I like how everything turned out. I asked the PB about brushing the Stonescapes and he indicated it would be very minimal. He said he generally doesn't have the owners do much brushing at all if they choose Stonescapes. Any concerns from the forum members on this? I can't do anything until Monday because they won't be bringing me my pool equipment and doing the chemicals, pump startup, etc. till then.

photo11_zpsa2a5d0a2.jpg

photo12_zpsd9e9a934.jpg

photo11_zpsa2a5d0a2.jpg

photo10_zpsfa3ce342.jpg

photo14_zpsbb907437.jpg

Good looking pool. We have aqua blue mini pebble stonescapes. I brushed ours twice every day for two weeks. I could feel the finish getting smoother the more I brushed.

Very nice looking pool design.

I agree that the orange stone on the spa kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I agree that they shouldn't have placed it to begin with. Seems like a lazy move. And I also agree that if you are going to have them replace it - do go ahead and have them fix (remove) the little triangle partial piece. They should be able to fit bigger pieces like the rest of it.

OR - you can keep it for it's "uniqueness" and name it like a pet rock. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.