How long should I run my pump?

Jun 15, 2008
Nashville, TN
I am in the process of switching over to BBB from baquacrap and am wondering how long to run my pump once I am done? It is a 2hp pump and has a high and low switch. The pool store told me to run it 24/7. They also told me it was better for the pump to run constantly instead of cycling it even if I did 12 hours on and 12 hours off. I have no problem running it 24/7 but was wondering what the experts here think instead of the pool store 'experts'. :-D

As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs. However, I run mine 24/7. It keeps things that fall on top of the water (leaves, bugs, etc) from sinking to the bottom (skimmer grabs them before they sink so I don't need to vacuum as often), plus it seems like good insurance as I don't have water issues.

It costs me about $85 per month to run my pump full time. As soon as possible I'll be buying a two speed pump and running it on low 24/7, which should drop my monthly cost to about $30 and still give me 2+ turnovers per day.

Rangeball said:
As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs.

So I should run my pool 31326 gal / 96 gpm / 60 min per hour = 5 hrs 26 min.

But that's assuming perfect replacement without intermediate mixing; so what kind of fudge factor should I multiply by?

Also, is any particular time of day/night a pump should be run? Is it cheaper to run it at night?

sks23cu said:
Rangeball said:
As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs.

So I should run my pool 31326 gal / 96 gpm / 60 min per hour = 5 hrs 26 min.

At a bare minimum.

But that's assuming perfect replacement without intermediate mixing; so what kind of fudge factor should I multiply by?

No idea, but going for 2 turnovers is a fair and common compromise. Many report running their pump 8-12 hours per day.

Also, is any particular time of day/night a pump should be run? Is it cheaper to run it at night?

It isn't cheaper rate wise to run at night where I live, but I suppose the motor might run a bit cooler which could save some energy. You also want to make sure your run time coincides with and is adequate to thoroughly mix any chemicals you add, like bleach after sundown. Other than that, assuming good pool chemistry is maintained I think it's personal preference. Some don't want the noise at night, others don't want it when they're in the pool, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.