Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long should I run my pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long should I run my pump?

I am in the process of switching over to BBB from baquacrap and am wondering how long to run my pump once I am done? It is a 2hp pump and has a high and low switch. The pool store told me to run it 24/7. They also told me it was better for the pump to run constantly instead of cycling it even if I did 12 hours on and 12 hours off. I have no problem running it 24/7 but was wondering what the experts here think instead of the pool store 'experts'.
    Nashville, TN, 24' above ground 13,500 gallons, 300lb sand filter

My Baqucrap conversion!
    starting-my-baqucrap-conversion-this-weekend-t7122.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long should I run my pump?

As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs. However, I run mine 24/7. It keeps things that fall on top of the water (leaves, bugs, etc) from sinking to the bottom (skimmer grabs them before they sink so I don't need to vacuum as often), plus it seems like good insurance as I don't have water issues.

It costs me about $85 per month to run my pump full time. As soon as possible I'll be buying a two speed pump and running it on low 24/7, which should drop my monthly cost to about $30 and still give me 2+ turnovers per day.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs.
    So I should run my pool 31326 gal / 96 gpm / 60 min per hour = 5 hrs 26 min.

But that's assuming perfect replacement without intermediate mixing; so what kind of fudge factor should I multiply by?

Also, is any particular time of day/night a pump should be run? Is it cheaper to run it at night?
    -Steve, Westford, MA; 31,326 gal 21' x 41' IG Imperial 1000 Series vinyl pool
    96 gpm Hayward DE-4800 filter,1.5HP,3hrs/day,$0.72/hr;TF100 test kit, Borate & Salt strips

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sks23cu
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    As long as you get at least one complete turnover a day, I think that's all one really needs.
    So I should run my pool 31326 gal / 96 gpm / 60 min per hour = 5 hrs 26 min.
    At a bare minimum.

But that's assuming perfect replacement without intermediate mixing; so what kind of fudge factor should I multiply by?
    No idea, but going for 2 turnovers is a fair and common compromise. Many report running their pump 8-12 hours per day.

Also, is any particular time of day/night a pump should be run? Is it cheaper to run it at night?
    It isn't cheaper rate wise to run at night where I live, but I suppose the motor might run a bit cooler which could save some energy. You also want to make sure your run time coincides with and is adequate to thoroughly mix any chemicals you add, like bleach after sundown. Other than that, assuming good pool chemistry is maintained I think it's personal preference. Some don't want the noise at night, others don't want it when they're in the pool, etc.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's some info from another thread: pump-run-time-t7099.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!