Lumenyte Fiber Optic Lighting -- Repair Options?

Jul 4, 2013
We currently have the pool drained and acid washed with a guy coming to patch/paint everything in the next couple days. While the water is out we're also getting the tile repaired and a few other things. However, we were also hoping to get some lights working as there are currently none which function. After some inspection it appears there is a lumenyte fiber optic lighting system installed with 3 lights in the pool, 1 in the spa and 2 in the waterfall feature. All the cables seem to be cut at the light output modules, whether by design or not I cannot be sure.

I only know the basics of these systems and not much in how they apply to pool systems. I know splicing data fiber optic cables requires very expensive tools but they are extremely thin strands. These seem like very thick plastic core lines. Unfortunately, the output housings all seem to have deteriorated to where the tip of the optic cable has been exposed to the pool water for some time now.

I took a bunch of pictures and a did a walk-through of the entire system using the video camera. If any kind soul might spare a few minutes and give us some advice on how best to proceed with getting our lights working again I would be forever grateful. We really don't want to spend a fortune since we won't be living here more than a few years to enjoy it, but some lighting would certainly be nice to have. Thanks again!

[youtube:2qhz4rf3]us3gi77L__4[/youtube:2qhz4rf3]

I'm trying to find the maker, but I know there is a product that is designed to add aftermarket lights to a pool. The idea is that the light cord would run inside a return line and therefore replace the return line with a light. In your case though you could use the existing fiber optic runs to run this style of light.

The ends of those fibres look pretty nasty. Are they glass or plastic?

Personally, I would convert them over to an LED source to each fibre (cree MC-E's into each fibre would be MUCH brighter than what was originally there, unless it used a metal halide lighting source). Depends how handy you are, if you want multi-coloured lighting or white only is OK.

To test, you could use a high brightness 5/10mm LED onto each fibre (I think blue or green would be the brightest colours) at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.