Newbie - No Pressure Gauge Reading?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hi all, new member and new pool owner. Just reading through Pool School and all of the other content here so thanks for all of the useful information.

My current problem is that when I first bought the home/pool the home/pool inspector noticed that the filter pressure gauge was reading zero and he told me that the gauge probably just needed to be replaced. My filter is a S8M150 (see signature line for other pool details). So I initially cleaned the main cartridge filters (2), pump baskets, skimmer, etc. I put it all back together and still got a zero pressure reading. I subsequently bought a new pressure gauge (gauge only, not the entire housing):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2T80WI/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

After I replaced with the new gauge I am still getting a zero pressure reading. I didn't follow any specific protocol when replacing with the new gauge, i.e. I basically just unscrewed the pump baskets a bit so air started to come out and depressurize the system while at the same time unscrewing the air/pressure cap on top of the filter to let some more air out until it was completely dpressurized. I then removed old gauge, put some latex tape on the fitting and screwed the new gauge on, then turned the pumps back on.

Do I need to replace the entire housing for the pressure gauge/air release thing on the top of the filter or did I re-pressurize the system in the wrong way? Since then I've been running the pumps, pool cleaner Polaris vacuum, etc. and haven't noticed any issues except that whenever the pumps turn on a small bit of water drips/leaks out of the filter (middle brackets area), but stops after the 1-2 seconds from the pumps initially turning on.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First, make sure you did not accidentally cover the back of the gauge with the tape. Assuming that is fine, you need to make sure the hole is clear into the filter so that it can actually sense the pressure ... you may need to look from inside and outside. There should be no reason to have to replace more than the gauge.

Thanks, any issues with the way I went about depressurizing or re-pressurizing? I thought I read somewhere about turning the pumps on with the filter air vent open until water comes out? I'll take the new gauge off and inspect... if clogged up any good ideas to clean it or perhaps buy a new housing?

As soon as the pump is off, the system is not pressurized. You can open the air relief to get the filter to drain so you do not get your shoes wet when you take the top off the filter to inspect for debris.

When you get the filter back together, just leave the air valve open, turn the pump on until water is coming out and then close the air valve ... this ensure the air is removed from the system. Actually no harm is opening that valve up on occasion with the pump running to see if there is any air ... I do it with mine sometimes.

I can not imagine how it would be clogged up enough to need to buy a new part.

Crazy... took off the housing, made sure all ports were clear, removed and reattched the pressure gauge. Turned on pump, let air escape and validated water was coming out of the vent outlet port of the housing. Still showing zero pressure after running the pump for 5-10 minutes...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Amazon is going to send me a replacement of that OEM Pentair. For $25 the next one better work. I was searching around for a cheap replacement (non-Pentair) and all I could find were cheap China made junk gauges that got plenty of bad reviews. Anyway, I suppose you just need it to get a reasonably accurate pressure reading so hopefully the replacement works.

All the ones marketed to the pool market are basically junk, even the brand name gauges. It is possible to pick up a high quality gauge major gauge brand name on ebay at a reasonable price ($10-15 or so), but these you need to search for based on the specs (1/4 inch NPT stub, back or bottom, water / WAG operation, and sized correctly with a usable scale on the face).

Here is a link to an example or two, or three,...

Ashcroft brand stainless steel case, filled gauge 2.5 inch back stub gauge $15 + shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ashcroft-63W300 ... 20d5a4ccbb

New Weksler brand non filled back stub dual scale $6 with free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Weksler-Ins ... 25861249ce

Or if you could fit something bigger a 3.5 inch Marsh brand gauge for $10 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHALLTOWN-GA ... m1c6402f68

And in case you need a bottom stub type, here is a Wikia for $12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIKA-111-10B-2- ... 27c34e664b

I'm a relative newbie myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt....

For my system (see signature), I barely get a reading on my pressure gauge in normal operation, which is with the pump running at 1500 rpm. This is because my filter is somewhat oversized. When the system is priming at full-speed, I get a reading of around 15 psi. Perhaps it is normal for you to have a low reading on your gauge?

jjslinger said:
I'm a relative newbie myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt....

For my system (see signature), I barely get a reading on my pressure gauge in normal operation, which is with the pump running at 1500 rpm. This is because my filter is somewhat oversized. When the system is priming at full-speed, I get a reading of around 15 psi. Perhaps it is normal for you to have a low reading on your gauge?

I suppose possible...I'm busy getting my volume measurements down, so after I do that I'll get a post going with pool volume and equipment being used to see if that is up for consideration. I also have a new gauge on the way (went with a Wika liquid filled) so should know in the next couple of days after I install it if it does the trick.

delirium330 said:
I suppose possible...I'm busy getting my volume measurements down, so after I do that I'll get a post going with pool volume and equipment being used to see if that is up for consideration. I also have a new gauge on the way (went with a Wika liquid filled) so should know in the next couple of days after I install it if it does the trick.
I think your filter is similar to mine, except slightly larger. Mine is 400 square feet, yours is 450. If you look in the manual, there is a plot of pressure drop versus gallons per minute. At 60 gallons per minute, my filter has about 1 PSI drop across it; yours will be less since your filter is bigger. There is more to it than just the filter I think, it has to do with length of pipes, diameter of pipes, number of turns, elevation, etc. One of the more knowledgeable people here may be able to help you out with some estimates. But again, my system, which has a smaller filter than yours, barely moves the needle at all during normal operation with my pump at 1500 rpm.

Don

Well turns out the new Pentair gauge I got was indeed defective. Crazy that I went through two of them and they both were broken. Anyway, with the new Wika liquid filled I'm getting about 6psi, I cleaned the cartridges about 4 weeks ago (not a major clean, just a quick clean when I moved into the house). Thanks again for everyone's help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.