Raised pool wall material that's easiest to maintain & more

Angnjam

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2013
Southern California
Getting ready to dig in the next couple weeks, and we are trying to make some detailed design choices.

1) So we have about a 2 foot wall that runs the length of the pool, and we are really struggling trying to decide on what to put on the wall. We love the look of glass tile, but not sure how easy that will be to maintain with the grout and all. We have also considered stacked stone panels (both natural and manufactured). The wall will not be submerged in the water, but 4 feet of it will be behind a sheer descent, so there will be splashing on the wall but it won't be constantly under the water. I love the look of the dark subway tile like in the attached picture, but we could do a stackstone as well, like the other picture. Any suggestions as to what material will be easiest to keep clean and maintain? I want to go with our favorite look, but don't want to regret it because it's a nightmare to keep looking nice. Oh, and we will have a SWG if that would make any difference. Also, is there a specific type of tile that would NOT work well on a raised pool wall, or will any work as long as they are rated for outdoors as well?

[attachment=1:2nqpcdnj]IMG_8301.jpeg[/attachment:2nqpcdnj]

[attachment=0:2nqpcdnj]6a0133f2413b6e970b015435ab8c4a970c-800wi.jpg[/attachment:2nqpcdnj]

Also, here are a few more decisions I could use input on:

2) does anyone have a dark gray poured-in-place coping? Has the color stayed looking good? How long have you had it? I heard that gray colored concrete goes white on you if you don't seal it faithfully. Anyway, if you have any pics you can send me that would be helpful too.

3) I am still trying to decide if adding a deep heat line would be helpful or necessary with my pool? It costs about $200 more, but didn't know if it would be worth it.

4) Will regular plaster last me 15 years without a cover in Southern California if we take care of the pool? And would really pebble last 25-30 years? Is NPT's Stonescapes mini pebble going to last as long as Pebble Sheen (I know the difference in PT's installers having to be specially certified)? I'd really like to save $2k if I could by going with Stonescapes if it will last as long (considering the same installer installed both products).

5) Is 3000 psi good enough for my shotcrete shell? I have read articles that say it should be at least 4000 psi, but people around here seem to get 3000 psi all the time. Again, I don't want to pay extra if 3000 is going to be totally sufficient.

Please let your thoughts/advice pour in and thanks for your help once again.

Here's info on the pool and I'm in southern California:
SIZE: 16’ X 38’ DEPTH: 3’ 6" TO 7’ 0"
EST TOTAL GALLONS:23,800 RETURNS: Three (3) 2"
COPING: Double Pour Cantilever or quartzite flagstone
SQFT: 643 PERIMETER: 121
SKIMMERS: One (1)
INTERIOR MATERIAL: TILE: Choice thru GP. III
24" RBB w/tile facing
5G Color light
Double pour cantilever coping.
Lower deck area: 598 sq. ft.
P/A
NOTES: facing on RBB to be determined
STEEL: 4 x #4 in beam w/ 20’ "T’ bars
SKIMMERS: One (1) w/2 1/2" suction
MAIN DRAINS: Two (2) in deep end
CLEANING SYSTEM: Suction
VAC LINES: Dedicated 2.5"
Suction VAC: The PoolCleaner
WATER FEATURES:One (1) 48" on ’circ’ pump w/valve
NOTES: Auto fill & over-flo
Hose bib at upper deck area (tied into sprinkler line)
EQUIPMENT
GloBrite color light
Equipotential bonding required for pool deck.
J box (at equipment); light switches by back door.
POOL PUMP: Pentair IntelliFlo VS 8 X 160
FILTER: Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE FNS Plus
HEATER: Pentair 140K UltraTemp heat pump (50 amp)
LIGHTS IN POOL: Two (2) 5G color pool lights &
(1) GloBrite on reef w/transformer
NOTES: IntelliChlor salt chlorinator
Auto-fill & over-flo
48" Cascade waterfall (on circ pump w/valve)
50 amp dedicated circuit for future spa

Attachments

• IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 252
  • 6a0133f2413b6e970b015435ab8c4a970c-800wi.jpg
    6a0133f2413b6e970b015435ab8c4a970c-800wi.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 252
Re: Raised pool wall material that's easiest to maintain & m

Sorry you didn't get answers sooner!
1) I think tile would be much easier to clean than any kind of stone - any scaling that forms could be easily cleaned off with diluted acid...that will be much harder with stone. As long as it's a tile made for pools, it'll be fine.
2) I don't...but sounds nice.
3) Nope, your pool will heat just fine without it.
4) I think yes, plaster can last 15 years. I'm not sure about the 30 that is claimed for pebble, but it's certainly possible, and the general recommendation around here is that getting a pebble finish is worth the cost. I don't think there's any significant differences between the different brands of pebble finishes...how good it turns out depends entirely on the installer.
5) Not sure, but I seriously doubt it is important.

Re: Raised pool wall material that's easiest to maintain & m

Thank you for your input. As to choosing a "pool" tile, are there any specs of the tile that I should be sure to look for or avoid? When I look, they often list that they are suitable or interior and exterior and they they are great for back splashes, pools, showers, etc". Does this make them "pool" tiles?
I'd like a dark gray subway tile and a multi colored glass tile. Any advice I I could use to make sure that my mason is installing them on my waterline and raised bond beam?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.