retrofitting a pvc pipe thru concrete wall

lennyf

Dec 8, 2013
My second post here, still working on my signature..
Anyhow, IG, 25K, cast concrete walls, 8" thick, ceramics tiled. For some reason I need to add another 1-1/2" or two pvc pipes thru the pool wall. I do have an access to parts of the backside of the walls. what I ask is what size of hole to drill in the wall in order to accommodate 1-1/2" PVC pipe, and how and with what to seal it good. The drilling itself will be done using a diamond core bit, starting obviously from the inside tiled surface.
Waiting eagerly for any suggestion!

I would make the hole about 1/2" wider than the outside diameter of the pipe.

Then, pack and fill that 1/4" gap all around with a fast drying masonry compound, like one you use to set vertical decorative fence posts. I would not use caulk unless you can force it well into the wall

Drill a pilot hole through the wall so the core bit won't "walk" and you'll get a nice, straight hole.

I would not trust the core bit to not break the tile. I would manually chip or cut out the tile back just a little bit so the core drill doesn't touch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.