What parts do I need for intellitouch automation

tomsop

Oct 18, 2012
I am looking at replacing my main pump with a vs pump and looking at the VF intelliflo. Right now I have the Jandy RS8 controller wired into the bedroom to control the system (waterfall pump, filter pump, spa pump and pool light).

I am trying to research what components I need to help prepare a budget. I don't want any wireless or iPad systems, I would be happy with another wired controller installed in place of the handy RS8. I understand if I stuck with the Jandy RS8 I would need a different circuit board or adapter to control the pump through the Jandy controller.

Could my fix be as simple as replacing the RS8 with the intellitouch and some wiring or is it more complicated?

- thanks - Tom

I don't know what the Jandy RS8 controller is like, and, or if you are unhappy with it.

But as another option to changing your Jandy controller, there is this option available;
a "Pentair 521109 IntelliCom II Interface Adapter", it accepts four inputs (9 to 24 volts AC or DC) and
controls the intelliflo pump by sending the respective RS485 commands to run four pre programed speeds or flows.

I will be installing one of these next week in my pool system as a stand alone controller of the VF pump, so I will be able to provide addition feedback later.

The problem with the aqua link RS8 is that there are no settings for controlling the variable speed properties of a VS pump. So I am not sure what parts would be needed to link a VS pump to my existing system. I don't understand why they ssell circuit boards to upgrade the RS8 - I am assuming for some reason you cannot just stick a new controller in there - that would seem like a better option than attaching a circuit board to the RS8. I am not planning on installing this myself but I am trying to understand my options.

tomsop said:
Could my fix be as simple as replacing the RS8 with the intellitouch and some wiring?

- thanks - Tom
Yes you can do it that way.

Or...

If you are happy with the Jandy controller, another option, if cost is an issue, is to instead of the intelliflo pump, go with the Jandy equivalent. VS FloPro, or ePump. Providing you have the correct firmware revision on the RS unit. It must be Rev. O or newer. This way, the only cost/purchace is the pump.

How to check your RS REV:
http://www.nuccibros.com/sec_0934drRb_d ... 0ePump.pdf
Start on page 6

I am not happy with the Jandy Aqualink because it is my understanding was that the Jandy could not control VS pumps - are you saying that with the firmware upgrade I can control a Jandy VS pump? I may be interested in that solution.

I will have to research the Jandy pumps - on Amazon the e-pump gets a good review (not many reviews) and there are a couple bad reviews of the flopro (also not many reviews). It seems the e-pump is cheaper than intelloi-flo - I will have to look into this option - thank you for your reply.

I do little, if any cross manufacturer integration. I would call Jandy first to see if their iQ900RS upgrade will talk to the pentair variable pumps, before you make that investment. Not that i wouldn't trust anyone here that may know, It's a lot of money to invest with no recourse if you take our word alone that it will integrate!

Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.