What is that in my pool???

Jun 6, 2007
Indianapolis
We finally have a sparkling pool after a long battle with algae. The water is crystal clear and we were finally enjoying our pool! We came home yesterday from work to find "soapy looking" bubbles all over the pool. We have some air in our lines and need to have some pipes replaced (next year) so the jets do produce some air bubbles, but they have never turned into sudsy bubbles before. What is causing this? Has anyone seen this before??

What kind of sanitizer do you use? I've seen soapy bubbles in a Baquacil pool.

Could you post details about your pool and filter setup and a set of test results? It will also help to know what all you've put in the water in the recent past.

We have a 40,000 gallon gunite pool with a sand filter. We just treat with bleach as we don't have an automatic chlorinator. A few weeks ago our alkalinity was 180 so we added some muratic acid. That's really it. Not much going in there.

FC Chlorine 3+
PH 7.2
Alkalinity 110

The pool is huge and we love it.....when it is behaving! It needs a lot of remodeling and TLC. We've only been in the house for a year and a half and already sunk a ton of money into it last summer when a pipe completely ruptured and caused our neighbors yard to be flooded! Someday it will be quite the oasis.

But you're way ahead of the game by using BBB! Think of the money you'd sink in if you were buying at the pool store.

I'd like to suggest that you add your pool's specifics as a signature block. You do that in the User Control Penal. That way, someone coming to the thread late doesn't have to ask about pool and equipment because it'll be in your sig at the end of each post.

Have you added any algaecide? I read that some of those products can cause soapy bubbles.

What kind of test procedure do you use? Reagent based drop kit? Strips? Pool store? Are you able to test for CYA?

I did a search on " +soap* +bubble* " and found this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/soapy-feeling-suds-t1763.html in which it's said that algaecides can cause soapy bubbles. Also a nascent algae bloom, and low pH. You said your pH is at 7.2 because you had just done a muriatic acid treatment to reduce TA. I don't know what the recommended pH is for a gunnite pool. Have you researched the Pool School (link above in the logo menu bar) for chemical balances for your pool?

We haven't put any algaecide in the pool. We use a reagent test kit, but it doesn't test CYA. Only TC, FC, CC, PH, Alka. This morning we turned the pump off and let the pool sit. All of the soapy bubbles are gone. It is something with the few bubbles the jet is blowing coupled with hitting the water. When the bubbles come out of the jet, they are clear, when they surface is when they are sudsy looking. Bizarre!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.