My First Pool

Dec 13, 2013
Hi All, as indicated, this my first pool. Just moved in and the previous owner said he "Just knew what to do; dumped in a 1/2 gallon of 10.5 chlorine every week". Also kept 2-3 3" large chlorinating pucks in a tube that, I assume pool water circulated thru when the pump is running (about 8 hours/day). I have a TF-100 test kit. Please advise.
FC 36 CC 0 TA 50 CH 260 CYA 100

Thanks a ton!
Dan

Welcome to tfp, maryspoolboy :wave:

maryspoolboy said:
I have a TF-100 test kit.
:goodjob:

You did not post your ph?

How does your water look?

A cya reading of 100 with the tf-100 kit may actually be higher. I would do a 1/2 pool water 1/2 cya free water (tap water is fine) and redo the test. Then multiply your result by 2. Getting the cya down is probably your first step. If there are still pucks in the feeder, take them out.

Welcome to TFP!

For the CYA test, was the water well below the line? That would mean it is much higher than 100ppm, which is already too high.

Your FC appears way high, did you use a 10ml water sample and used 72 drops?

First step is to lower the CYA by replacing at least 50% of the water. All those tablets have raised it too high.

pH is likely skewed as it does not test correct at levels over about 10 ppm FC, personally I would dump half the water refill and go from there. (note there is danger of pool floating (popping out of the ground) if you drain too much at once and have a high water table, so if you have a high water table you might want to remove 1/4 of the water, refill and repeat.

Ike

p.s. note that without using the dilution method the CYA test is only good to read up to about 100 ppm, so your CYA may be much higher

oopps auto correct strikes again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Everybody, Happy New Year! I just tested again and it looks to me like it's coming around. I haven't added anything, other than fresh water. I just let the hose run in it for most of a day. Here's where it was and where it is now. Please advise me on where to go from here. The water looks sparkling clear with no evidence of algae. It's a pleasure to swim in, with odor of chlorine or anything else.

12/13/13 1/1/14
FC 36 FC 25
CC 0 CC 2
pH 7.2 pH 7.5
TA 50 TA 70
CH 260 CH 375
CYA >100 CYA 55

I appreciate the advice, and I will have more time now, after the holidays, to read more of the info on this site.
Thanks again,
Dan

maryspoolboy said:
Hey Everybody, Happy New Year! I just tested again and it looks to me like it's coming around. I haven't added anything, other than fresh water. I just let the hose run in it for most of a day. Here's where it was and where it is now. Please advise me on where to go from here. The water looks sparkling clear with no evidence of algae. It's a pleasure to swim in, with odor of chlorine or anything else.

12/13/13 1/1/14
FC 36 FC 25
CC 0 CC 2
pH 7.2 pH 7.5
TA 50 TA 70
CH 260 CH 375
CYA >100 CYA 55

I appreciate the advice, and I will have more time now, after the holidays, to read more of the info on this site.
Thanks again,
Dan
Question: how big a sample are you using for FC, and what are you multiplying the drops by? 25 is above shock level for 55 CYA, and should be rough on the eyes and swimsuits if correct. Also note your pH reading will be wrong if the FC readings are correct. CC looks high, but many water companies use chloramines to disinfect and prevent corrosion, so if the water is clear and the number dissipates, it's nothing to worry about. Is this a continuation of some earlier thread? If so, try to keep things together. It's easy to lose track of things. In the summer, we might see 200 new threads a day.

How did you do the CYA test ? You want to it in full sun with your back to the sun and the sample at waist high. When the black dot disappears take your reading. Also if your pool water temp is low bring sample inside to get to room temp.

The reason to keep everything under the same thread you started is so everybody can follow the history better and see your previous posts. It just makes things easier.

OK, Jeff, thanks. Previously I did the the CYA test as you described. this time I was facing east, so the sun was on my right. It makes sense that lighting would have a significant impact. I will re-test CYA tomorrow

Hi All, Finally got around to testing again. It's been a little chilly here for swimming, so I didn't test til today. The water has remained crystal clear and sparkly.

CL 7.5
CC 0
TC 7.5
pH 8.2
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 80

I'm guessing I should add some acid? How much and in what form? Any other thoughts are welcome

Thanks,
Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.