I was reading TFP's "Water Balance for SWGs" and...

Dec 12, 2013
Houston, TX
I have another thread going right now about adjusting my pool chemistry and I'm in the mist of still doing that and ordered a TF-100 yesterday.

But as I continue to learn about balanced chemistry, I was reading TFP's "Water Balance for SWGs" and it says that FC should be 3-5 ppm. My SGW manual says maintain 1-3 ppm. So which range should I follow in the days & weeks to follow?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

martinspool said:
I have another thread going right now about adjusting my pool chemistry and I'm in the mist of still doing that and ordered a TF-100 yesterday.

But as I continue to learn about balanced chemistry, I was reading TFP's "Water Balance for SWGs" and it says that FC should be 3-5 ppm. My SGW manual says maintain 1-3 ppm. So which range should I follow in the days & weeks to follow?

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
Chlorine level is based on CYA level. So once you know that, you can target the FC level.

Take your pick. Who're you gonna believe? The people here who haven't seen green in their pool for years, or the industry that makes big money selling "shock", phosphate removers, clarifiers...

Well, to be honest that's what I thought but as I'm learning and have made mistakes in the past I've learned it's better to ask first. I'm so glad I've found TFP I feel very confident that I have a family now that will help me get off training wheels and ride with confidence.

Thank you.

I understand perfectly the hesitation to "buy into" the teachings on this forum. It's difficult, to say the least, to fly in the face of the manufacturer's suggestions when he's got it printed in black and white.

Same thing with Pool Store advice. It is quite natural to assume they are the "experts" (after all, it is there business) and harder to put creedence in a group of online yahoos (yeah, that's us) who can appear as zealots to someone just finding this forum.

Give it some time. As you read more and more within, you will come across the finest swimming pool experts on the planet and they will help you learn what we have all learned over the years......The TFPC methodology is based on rock solid science with all the peripheral agendas and special interests removed. You are left with simple techniques that will allow you to manage your pool very successfully and inexpensively.

These methods have been developing over the last 10 years or so by a passionate group of people who observe and share their findings. We are reinforced by a few members who combine their own experiences with these observations and prove the science behind them beyond any doubt..

So, does that make us the perfect forum for every pool owner in the world? Absolutely not.

From the home page......
We emphasize the importance of self management, self testing and a willingness to learn.
Not every pool owner has the interest to manage their own pools. Many. many people have a hard time realizing that self-testing is an essential cornerstone.....it's too tempting to head to the pool store for "expert" testing. That virtually never works but many people can simply never get their arms around the concept that you, as pool owner, will test far more accurately. The willingness to learn is self-explanatory.

Enjoy the forum. We hope you will be with us for years to come.

With the test numbers and all the other info input into the pool calculator it will calculate what your chlorine level should be for normal and SLAM levels. Once you get it set up and understand it, it is very easy to use. :)

I am certainly willing to learn and self test. I'm a very detailed person by nature.

But this is what gets me confused.
RobbieH said:
I can tell you from experience that if you maintain an FC of 1-3 with a CYA of 70-90, you are probably going to have black algae along the water line.

Now everywhere I've read here on TFP it says that my FC should be 3 -5 and my CYA should be 70 -80. Now Robbie just said that's going to create black algae.

I don't get it.

Richard320 said:
Take your pick. Who're you gonna believe? The people here who haven't seen green in their pool for years, or the industry that makes big money selling "shock", phosphate removers, clarifiers...

I was talking to our PB not long after our renovation about water chemistry. He told me that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. I replied: "That's funny, the internet says the same thing about you." He took it surprisingly well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.