Going away for 10 days and manually chlorinate, Help?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

There are just too many unknowns to even guess how to give you an answer.

Sorry - this is a spa, about 400 gallons. We also have an inground, but totally separate and closed for the winter! I have been using Spa 56 which was part of my "start-up" kit. I test the water every 2 days and generally need to add 2 oz every 2-4 days. There is no one who can take the job in my absense. I was thinking I would lower the temp down to 85 or so and "overchlorinate" before I go. I know from reading the thread on chlorinating a spa that a floater is not a good idea. Maybe howver if I lower the temp as above it would be a ok way for the sabatical? Thoughts?

Can I jump in here and find out what is needed since I too will be going off for almost 10 days in January.

My CYA is 30ish and I add 1/4 cup of bleach aprox. every 2 days (need to disconnect that ozone thingie, already removed the silver packet thingie last year).

Any suggestions for those of us who travel? i like the OP's idea of turning the temp way down if that would help? Maybe just draining it and turning it off until we return since it will likely be 2 months into an every-4-month drain, clean and refill.

The lower the temp the slower the algae will take hold.

Personally with a small hot tub, I might just drain it and start over when I return. Or just turn the heat off, boost to SLAM level, cover, and deal with it when I return ... if still clear with FC present you are good, or SLAM it, or drain it depending on the condition of the water.

Note that a lower water temperature will lower daily chlorine demand significantly when there is no ozonator, but with an ozonator in the water the chlorine and ozone will still react with each other and you will still have significant chlorine demand. Basically, when you have an ozonator, you can't easily maintain a chlorine level without adding chlorine every day or two. In most spas with ozonators, the daily chlorine demand with no bather load is 50% or more. In spas without an ozonator, it's 25% or less and that's at hot temperatures (100ºF+) -- at cooler temperatures (80ºF) the loss is lower in the 10-15% range.

See how chlorine levels drop at different daily chlorine demand rates:

Day ... 50% .. 25% .. 15% .. 10%
.. 0 .... 10 ..... 10 ..... 10 ..... 10
.. 1 .... 5.0 .... 7.5 .... 8.5 .... 9.0
.. 2 .... 2.5 .... 5.6 .... 7.2 .... 8.1
.. 3 .... 1.3 .... 4.2 .... 6.1 .... 7.3
.. 4 .... 0.6 .... 3.2 .... 5.2 .... 6.6
.. 5 .... 0.3 .... 2.4 .... 4.4 .... 5.9
.. 6 .... 0.2 .... 1.8 .... 3.8 .... 5.3
.. 7 .... 0.1 .... 1.3 .... 3.2 .... 4.8
.. 8 .... 0.04 .. 1.0 .... 2.7 .... 4.3
.. 9 .... 0.02 .. 0.8 .... 2.3 .... 3.9
. 10 ... 0.01 .. 0.6 .... 2.0 .... 3.5
. 11 .... -- .... 0.4 .... 1.7 .... 3.1
. 12 .... -- .... 0.3 .... 1.4 .... 2.8
. 13 .... -- .... 0.24 .. 1.2 .... 2.5
. 14 .... -- .... 0.18 .. 1.0 .... 2.3

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.