New to the forum & a 1yr. old salt pool, need a little help

Re: New to the forum & a 1yr. old salt pool, need a little h

After adding that 20oz. of acid yesterday here are my new numbers:

As of 12-15 @ 1pm FC 3.92 TC 4.0 pH 7.3 TA 79 CH 365 CYA 67 Salinity 2900 SWG OFF 54 pool temp

Added another bag of salt & 32oz. acid. I know this additional acid will drop my pH further but I'm trying to lower my TA by another 10 - 12 points. I increased my pump rpm's to 2900 to get more volume & pressure to the aerators & returns are really putting out a lot of bubbles now. I'm also hoping at this point that balancing my pH & TC will finally stabilized because as you can see my CH in these last numbers indicate it rose again somewhat.

I've been very busy with all this this week, so I thought I'd give you all a quick summary of what I have done:
• Cleaned my cartridge filter & SWG
• Diluted the pool 3x's with a total of replacement water probably around 10k - 12k gal. of water
• Brushed the pool everyday
• Hand scrubbed the tile right below the coping
• Ran numerous tests and made several chemical & additive adjustments according to TFP recommendations and website instructions
• Has been very windy here the past few days so a lot of leaves and have been scooping those leaves out, cleaning leaf filter & skimmers 2 - 3 times a day so I don't add another layer of problems
• Spent numerous hours reading & documenting info. on TFP, making record forms and other reference material for the future
• Ordered a TF-100 test kit - coming in Wednesday
• Keeping my wife content as she watch's how consumed I've been this week with focusing on this project
• Making a couple of major typo's and answering a post without fully reading and understanding the content and making a fool of myself

So, thanks you all so much for standing with me to guide me, making the website available and I hope to be here a long time and hopefully help others as I get planted in what it takes to maintain a well balanced pool. You all have been a real blessing.

Martin

PS: I thought maybe some of you might want to see the pool since you've invested so much time advising me about it.
martins-pool.jpg

12-16 4:30am FC 4.5 TC 4.71 pH 7.2 TA 71 CH 421 CYA 74 Salinity 3500 SWG OFF 52 degrees

These numbers reflect what I thought would happen after I did in the previous post EXCEPT I'm so perplexed on why my CH steady climbs over time. I just don't understand this unless bringing my pH & TA down and aerating to get my pH back up causes this. I say this because on 2 previous different days (the 14th & the 15th my pH was 7.6 & 7.5 with CH 348 & 317 respectively. Now yesterday I wanted to lower my TA from 79 to around 70 or so, so I added a little acid to lower my pH and aerating like crazy. So as we can see in these latest numbers above my pH is 7.2 & TA is 71…exactly what I wanted to accomplish BUT my CH climbed to 421 this morning. I'm confused. Ran pump and aeration all night and I am continuing that as we speak to raise my pH back up over time. It's just perplexing to me over this whole past week I've diluted this pool 3x's (10k - 12k gal. of water that had a CH of 124) to get rid of my hard water in the pool. Finally achieved that and then started working on the other numbers. Yesterday finally the numbers were there and the pool—chemically—finally looked stabilized. CH looked great, started adding salt and then did this tweak I noted above to bring my TA down a bit and this morning my CH is back up to 421.

I'm not doing anything else. I'm going to wait for this aeration to bring my pH back up to around 7.5, 7.6 and see what happens to my CH then.

Don't understand it. Very frustrating.

CH constantly climbs in a pool. It comes from source water and is not removed by anything....unless you splash it out or drain down.

Yeah but from CH 286 to 421 in 3 days?

My source water is rated @ CH 124?

Also, let's say down the road I have to use a little Borax to raise my pH will that have any affect my CH?

I'm currently using this test kit. When I bought it a few weeks ago I didn't know about this website and realize now it can't do what I need it to do.
http://www.lamotte.com/en/pool-spa/digital-testing/colorq/2056.html

I told my wife this morning that I suspected it could be inaccuracies of this tester. I mean these CH numbers just don't make any sense after all I've done.

Now one other thought I had was—that maybe—since my CH & CYA were so out of whack to begin with that maybe the plaster soaked it in some and now that I'm turning things around with good low CH & CYA numbers from dilution of fresh water the plaster is now releasing stored CH. I'm not sure if that's what's happening but it's a thought. The surface of the pool is real good. Shows no signs of pitting or anything. I mean it's only 1 year old and YES I screwed up and was testing with just strips (STUPID I know) but it really only got way out whack recently in last couple of months or so and then I discovered this problem and took quick control. One good thing concerning my CH & CYA is that CYA is holding down. It's staying pretty much steady. That's good news.

So I'm not doing anything else until my LT-100 kit comes in Wed. and then we'll see. In the meantime I'm running my pump with aerators on.

What about this question too
Let's say down the road I have to use a little Borax to raise my pH will that have any affect my CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK well I finally got the LT-100 kit last night and I'm trying to get familiar with where to start. This kit looks a little daunting if you ask me. But the first problem I'm trying to understand is the Speed Stir came with it's own clear tube while there's two others in the kit. Now one of them in the kit is labeled "Chlorine" so I get that. But the other one is not marked.

So do I use the other clear one in the kit for all other stir test?

Or do I use the one that came with the speed stir? What do I use this one for?

martinspool said:
OK well I finally got the LT-100 kit last night and I'm trying to get familiar with where to start. This kit looks a little daunting if you ask me. But the first problem I'm trying to understand is the Speed Stir came with it's own clear tube while there's two others in the kit. Now one of them in the kit is labeled "Chlorine" so I get that. But the other one is not marked.

So do I use the other clear one in the kit for all other stir test?

Or do I use the one that came with the speed stir? What do I use this one for?

The speed Stir just comes with a cylinder, and you'll see they are a bit different. They are also much more expensive. Use the Chlorine Only for FC/CC only. You can use the other cylinders on the speed stir.

If your TF-100 kit (not LT-100) seems a little daunting, just take them one at a time.

Go to the pool and get 12 oz or so of pool water from below the surface. Then take that sample indoors and find a comfortable place to do your tests. You'll want good lighting and a place to dump your tests when they are complete and a place to rinse your cylinders.

The pH and OTO chlorine test (in the blue plastic box) is a good place to start. Record your pH results but don't bother with the chlorine for now....you'll see why.

Next, I would suggest the TA test. While it's the least important of your parameters, it an easy test to do and will give you some confidence. Use your speedstir.

Then I would do the precision chlorine test (FAS/DPD) and record that (both FC and CC). Use your speedstir and the cylinder it came with. Just follow the steps on the card. record both results

Now, you should be fine doing the CH test and the CYA test. It'll all get easy after a couple of tries.

Follow the instructions carefully. They are helpful.

What we teach begins and ends with accurate testing and reporting your results. You've got the tools, put them to work.

As of 12-20-13

My 1st results with the LT-100:
FC 4.04 CC 0.5 TC 4.55 pH 7.5 TA 100 CH 375 CYA 70 SWG 3600 61 degrees pool temp

FYI - just for comparison sake, I tested with Digital kit as well just to see how it matched up against the LT-100.
FC 3.57 TC 3.62 pH 7.6 TA 78 CH 356 CYA 75

Since I have the speed stir can I use that tube for all drop testing or do I still have to use the clear tube marked "Chlorine Only" that came with the kit?

So my first impressions on these new numbers are, my chlorines are fine, my TA & CH are high and looks like another pool water dilution is in order to get the CH down some more then deal with TA later.

Another approach that I have is, we have a 80% chance of good rain tomorrow. So I was thinking adding just a little acid now to bring my TA down a bit and it won't hurt my pH much, then let it rain and if we get a good amount of rain it may get my CH down to 350 or lower.

Your thoughts?

Well, the results from the TF-100 kit are off on the FC. You can only get results to 1 decimal place (either .2 increments or .5 increments.

Nevertheless, I think you probably meant 4 FC or 4.4 FC.

Leave your TA and CH alone. They are within the parameters found in Pool School. Reread "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" to review the "normal ranges"

Any of the tubes can be used with the SpeedStir. Only use the only with the chlorine label for the FAS-DPD test ... use whatever other tube you want for the rest of the tests.

duraleigh said:
Well, the results from the TF-100 kit are off on the FC. You can only get results to 1 decimal place (either .2 increments or .5 increments.

Nevertheless, I think you probably meant 4 FC or 4.4 FC.

Leave your TA and CH alone. They are within the parameters found in Pool School. Reread "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" to review the "normal ranges"

Please bare with me here:
1st - So is my Chlorines overall ok then?

2nd - The reason I said what I did about my CH & TA (and I have read the ABC's many times) is in other places on the website it says that CH can be between 200 - 400 BUT 350 is best and mine is 375. And with TA 60-80 is best for a SWG and my TA is 100. So I've been shooting for a pH of 7.5 - 7.6 which is perfect and a TA of 75.

So I guess technically I am in parameters but it seems to me that I'm right on the edge on the upper side of these current readings and everyone on TFP says maintaining real good numbers is very important. So am I over reacting OR being on the high side with these numbers is ok ?

3rd - Ok got it with the usage of the clear tubes.

1. Don't know, you number do not make sense. Explain how you arrived at your numbers. How big a water sample? How many drops?

2. CH is fine. It is not easy to lower (replace water) and it is going to continually rise anyway due to evaporation.
TA is fine for now too. If you think the pH is rising too fast for your liking, then you can consider working to lower the TA, but there is no NEED to do it.

jblizzle said:
1. Don't know, you number do not make sense. Explain how you arrived at your numbers. How big a water sample? How many drops?

Well I did it according to the instructions but I just did it again and recorded what I did. Here it is:

• Filled the Chlorine Only bottle w/ 10ml of pool water
• Placed on speed stir, turned on and added 1 heaping scoop of R-0870
• Added 8 drops of R-0871 till it achieved being clear
8 x .05 = 4ppm FC
• Added 5 drops of R-0003 and it was slightly pink
• Added 1 drop of R-0871 and that made it clear...so
1 x 0.5 = 0.5 CC
• 4 + 0.5 = 4.5 TC

Is my math right?

What you did is correct, but what you wrote is not. You multiply the 8 drops by 0.5 to arrive at a FC level of 4.0. You previous reported numbers had extra digits that did not make sense.

We generally do not care what the TC level is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.