My Side Wall Repair - Brand New Intex Ulta Frame (with Pics)

Dec 8, 2012
Hello - I've received a lot of great help from this forum so I thought I would try and pay some of that back. Firstly my story: We just bought our second (replacement) Intex Ultraframe pool. First one lasted 3 years.

While I was cutting open the bags of Salt to empty into the full pool - I swung the knife out a little wide at the end of a cut and slashed a 1 1/2" tear in the side wall of our brand new pool. I was devastated.

I tried to quickly patch underwater (I have done this before successfully on a leak in the floor of our last Intex pool). I also applied a patch to the outside wall. All looked OK for about 12 hours and then it started to leak . . . .

If you haven't tried it before, forget about removing old patches. Heat, plastic scrappers, nothing will budge welded plastic without destroying the underlying vinyl.

All I could do now was apply even larger patches over the existing failed patches and hope for the best. Luckily I had cut some squares out of the old Intex liner before we disposed of it. So I used these as the new patches, cut into oval shapes.

I needed to hold the patches in place while the plastic bonding cured, so I made a simple mechanism. Hope the pictures help if you want to make one of your own.

I applied the external patch today so I will post back tomorrow and let you know how it all holds together when I refill the pool.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Pool_003.jpg
    Pool_003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Pool_002.jpg
    Pool_002.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Pool_001.jpg
    Pool_001.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 203
Re: My Side Wall Repair - Brand New Intex Ulta Frame (with P

May I ask what kind of cement/glue you used to put the on with? I have been on pins and needles for the past 6 months wondering about patching my Intex pool if it gets a leak.

Bob E.

Re: My Side Wall Repair - Brand New Intex Ulta Frame (with P

Hi Safetybob - I ended up using the standard adhesive from a $10 vinyl repair kit. I can take some pictures of the repair kits if that will help?

I tried some sample bonds using two part waterproof epoxy, etc and nothing came close to the standard vinyl adhesive. Go figure.

The process I used was:
* Remove as much of the lifted and raised old patches by closely clipping with electronic side cutters
* Dry scrub the pool side wall and the patch with a household scourer to roughen the bonding surfaces
* Thoroughly clean those areas with mild detergent and dry with a lint free cloth
* Mark some small borders on the pool wall using a pencil to making glueing alignment easier and stress free
* Wipe both surfaces with an alcohol wipe (or isopropyl alcohol) and allow to dry (be careful not to remove the pencil marks)
* Apply an even thin coating of the vinyl adhesive to the patch using only the nosle to distribute the adhesive
(don't use the cotton bud spreader commonly supplied with these vinyl repair kits - if accelerates the drying time and you won't get a full strength bond)
* I also added a small amount of adhesive to the worst parts of the failed patch
* Apply the patch to the pool wall using the pencil marks to align
* Quickly use a small paint roller (1.5") working outwards from the centre of the patch to force all the air bubbles out
* Run your finger around the edge of the patch to ensure no edges will lift up
* Apply the custom clamp (remembering to add kitchen wax paper or grease proof paper to the face of the clamp to prevent unintended bonding with the clamp)

Wait 24 hours and then repeat for the other opposite face of the wall

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.