How long to wait before soaking after adding muratic acid

Dec 11, 2013
I've read everything, understand most of it, have k2006, been testing, just need to fine tune some. My question is: how long should I wait to soak after adding a couple of ounces of muratic acid to drop the ph from 7.8 to 7 then aerating to raise ph method of adjusting TA.

Re: How long to wait before soaking after adding muratic aci

Does 10 min go for adding small amounts of dichlor, bleach, or CaCl2. Measuring liguid ounces for muratic acid & bleach is easy. What's the best container to use for measuring and transferring from jug to spa. Thrift store kitchen measuring cups seem inaccurate for small amounts. Haven't figured out the 2 tablespoons = 1 oz thing for different dry chemicals. What's the best rule of thumb? Is that accurate enough?

You can use Pool Math to calculate dosages of dry chemicals by volume. The densities of such chemicals are built into the calculator so that you don't have to use weight. The rough rule-of-thumb is that 1 ounce weight is 1 ounce volume, but that's only when the density is roughly 1 g/ml (not exactly, but close enough) so using Pool Math would be better. 1/2 ounce weight would be 1 tablespoon (2 tablespoons in an ounce). 1/6 ounce weight would be 1 teaspoon (3 teaspoons in a tablespoon).

The 10 minutes would be for adding any concentrated chemical, though acid and chlorine would be more of a problem than calcium.

For bleach where you dose by fluid ounces, you can use a small measuring cup.

Thanks! You folks have been a great help. One week ago I knew nothing about this subject. We have our first spa with safe, clear water. I read it all before getting the spa, chemicals, & test kit. The learning period might have been easier and shorter for me if I had purchased everything first, then started reading. I didn't want to buy anything until I understood this subject good enough to get it right from the beginning. Got all the info I needed right here. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.