Pool too cold for SWG. CL choice while OOT ?

Nov 5, 2013
Los Altos, CA
My pool is too cold for SWG to work. It's been very cold (by Bay Area standards) here recently and the pool temp is 49F. I've been adding bleach to maintain my FC, but we will be going on vacation for a couple of weeks. What's the best thing to use ?

My current numbers;
FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 130
CH: 275
CYA: 90
Salt: 3900

Given my already high CYA, I'm wary of using triclor as it adds CYA to the pool. Is two weeks a short enough time that I don't really need to be concerned about the amount of CYA added by these ? Is there a better choice ?

Thanks !

Well, you really do not have any options. Raise the FC up to SLAM level and deal with the results when you get home (may need to SLAM it).
Or do that and float some tablets ... but for your size pool, it will take a lot of tabs to keep the FC level up and that just means more CYA added as well.

Only other alternative is to get someone to swing by every few days and throw some bleach in the pool.

How many ppm are you losing a day? If it calculates to be between 1-2 ppm a day, then raising it to SLAM level, 35 ppm, should be fine for two weeks. I would think your pool should be using less than 1 ppm a day with those temps.

Wanted to report back that raising to SLAM level (or close to it 28 ppm was all I could do with bleach on hand) and leaving the pool unattended for slightly more than 2 weeks worked great. My FC level is still at 10 ppm. Too cold for my SWG still so I'll just let the FC naturally drop to 5-6 ppm and keep it there with bleach.

Thanks again for all the great advice !

Nice work, Spider850.

Your thread is a classic application of the TFPC method. You understood WHY you were adding FC, you tested and dosed carefully, and you got the predicted outcome.

TFPC is not just about buying bleach from the grocery store......it's understanding how to use and apply your knowledge of pool water management.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.