pool leaking

xj9ml7

Dec 11, 2013
new pool owner in florida.

i have a 14x28 gunite/concrete pool, not sure of the material. it seems everyday we are losing about an inch or more of water, fill the pool to about 1/2 way above skimmer entrance and its gone the next day.

i was told i have a suction side leak, not sure if that would cause the water to leak, and also an unground floor cleaner which is disconnected and the some of the covers for whatever the jet things have come off.

the o-rings were replaced on the pump, and the motor is new. tile is missing grout as well. and 2 of the return jets (i think thats what they are called that blow the water into the pool) are not flush with the wall, seems like they were put on new and left a 1/2 in gap between the round thing and the wall.

any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Let's start with the leak.
Have you let it leak down until it stopped leaking? If so where did it stop?
Have you tried to run the bucket test to insure that it is a leak?
Does it leak more or less when the pump is running?
What type filter do you have? If it's a sand or DE, does it have a multiport valve? Regardless, have you checked to see if water is coming out the waste port?

yes. stopped right at the lower wall tile line.

bucket test was not conclusive, i more than likely screwed it up. but the pool water was down after 24 and 48 hours about 1-1/2 inches

about the same running or not running

hayward filter, round long filter cartridge. water is leaking from the auto chlorinator as well, about 1 large kitchen bowl per 10 minutes just noticed that.

That makes sense. I'd say that your leak is in the skimmer or skimmer plumbing. Plug the hole in the skimmer off and see if it still leaks. If it does, then the leak is in the skimmer box or mouth. If it doesn't, the leak is in the plumbing.

Is your skimmer and main drain tied together under the skimmer? If it is you need to plug both holes in the skimmer bottom.

Very rarely is the leak underground. It's usually a sealing issue in the throat of the skimmer. However, if it is then tearing up decking is about the only way to get to it. But don't get the cart before the horse. Find the leak first an then make a decision about what to do about it.

the pool just turned on, zero pressure showing on filter valve but there is good flow in the pool and the auto chlorinator is leaking like a fountain?

what the heck is going on with this

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since you have a cartridge filter you don't have a backwash valve.

I suspect that you have a bad gage as the other Dave does. They're cheap and easy to replace.

By Auto-chlorinator, I assume it's a tablet feeder. If so, and it's leaking out the top, it's probably loose or possibly a bad gasket/o-ring.

Once you're narrowed the location down, we can tell you the best way to go about finding it. If it's in the skimmer throat you can take some dark food coloring and squirt a little at any suspect joint or seam and if it's leaking it'll pull the coloring into the seam or joint.

@duraleigh no worries on the confusion, can't possibly get more confused than i already am :)

yes it is a tablet filter, leaked out about 2 16oz kitchen bowls in 30 mins, having a new one installed hopefully thats the issue the ground is not wet, nothing on the deck, only the leak on the chlorinator

Personally I wouldn't replace the tab feeder. I'd just cut it out of the plumbing all together. Once you've found and fixed the leak you can read here a bit and start using liquid chlorine for sanitation.

Do you have a couple of winter plugs you can stick in the holes in the bottom of the skimmer? Have you done that yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.