Is it easy to install a pump timer?

May 17, 2008
My set up:

230v pump which plugs into an outlet. That outlet is controlled by a standard switch. I don't have a lot experience with electrical projects, though I did replace my pool pump last month (but that was easy because I just used the old wiring and it was an exact match to the new pump). I was in Lowe's last weekend and was looking at one of the Intermatic mechanical timers and read the wiring schematic. Unfortunately, that made me more confused. Is this a project that I should just hire someone to do? I would think it would cost more to have someone come than the timer itself!

Thanks in advance.

I've wired them myself, but I do have some DIY electrical experience. They way mine is wired, is from the pool house panel, into a standard switch, then out to the timer and solar control. That way with a flick of the switch, the entire system is off.

We hired an electrician. The pump and lights/electrical outlets have their own breakers at the box in the basement. He wired the timer to the pool breaker and mounted it on the wall. I can manually control the timer or I can shut the pool down on the breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.