Acid Dosing Question

Jul 12, 2013
For those people who use pumps to dose acid, I have a question for you. Do you dilute the acid and if you do in what proportions (1 to 1, 1 to 2, 1 to 4). I was thinking that I should dilute the acid, but I thought I would see what others are doing?

Thanks in advance.

To me, the biggest reason to dilute the acid is to cut down on fuming. Since the vessels have to be vented, and they're usually in close proximity to other equipment, you stand the chance that the fumes will attack nearby equipment. The added benefit of diluting is that you get a little finer adjustment of the amount you add because most people dilute 4:1 so you're pumping 1/5th the amount of acid with each turn of the pump.

Thank you. The fume issue was the reason that I was thinking of diluting. I was wondering about volume for the next few months after the pool is filled. If we have a daily need of roughly 50 ounces of acid during the initally curing does this create a volume issue at a 4 to 1 dilution rate for the pump? That would be 250 ounces a day or about 2 gallons a day. Using a 15 gallon drum would give me about a weeks worth of acid before it needed to be refilled. I will be using the intellichem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.