Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry climates?

Nov 25, 2013
North Texas
Experts out there ... do you think it is a concern to have pool decks in hot/dry climates (where soil sometimes contracts during periods of drought) to butt right up to the house foundation? One of our PB's is saying that we should put flower beds in to mitigate this, but I would also be concerned about watering plants/flowers in an enclosed bed next to the foundation due to the potential for standing water. Other builders have not mentioned it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry clima

Neither of these is an issue. I have planter beds all around my house. Its a good thing - the foundation will require watering either way. The planter bed will of course need some type of drainage so that it doesnt overflow during heavy rain.

As far a decking up against the foundation....again, not an issue. Always good to have an expansion joint here though.

Re: Pool deck next to foundation - an issue in hot/dry clima

I was also thinking it would be a non-issue either way.

I would think that having the pool deck go all the way up to the slab would help significantly reduce the evaporation that would cause soil contraction near the foundation.

I would also think that having a flower bed next to the foundation could be a bad thing, if it causes water to get locked into that area. But, if done right, it would be fine.

We put driveways and patios next to the foundation all the time. It seems weird that this PB is jumpy about having the pool deck next to it due to inability to irrigate the foundation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.