No water flow / suction

Dec 9, 2013
First time here. Need to solve a problem w/o going into debt with the pool company. Replaced old energy hog 2 HP pump last year with a Reliant 1.5 HP pump. Pump was running fine, water flowing into and out of the pool and filter. I stopped the pump, opened up the filter, cleaned the filter, buttoned it up, filled the strainer basket with water to prime the pump. Closed the filter basket and switched the pump back on. Water is not getting sucked back into the pump. I switched the valves to differing positions skimmer, vac, main and stuck a hose in and water did flow thru the vac and skimmer, I assume the main, but hard to tell. I switched the valve to the skimmer, put the hose on right into the skimmer suction line, filled the strainer basket closed that, switched on the pump. The motor sounds fine, just does not seem to suck any water in. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Pumps can often be hard to prime. Do you have a multiport valve? Can you position your valves so the pump pulls water from the main drain only?

How long did you let it run? How high above the pool water level is the pump? Do you have any check valves on the suction side of your plumbing?

You may have a suction side air leak but let's save that for later....your description doesn't sound like it.

yes, multi-valve. I isolated each so the pump would draw from only either the main, skimmer or vac. Each time, no suction, but motor runs. I let it run long enough to be be running dry, 30 secs to a minute. Pump is about 2 feet above water level. No check valves.

rjb_fla said:
yes, multi-valve. I isolated each so the pump would draw from only either the main, skimmer or vac. Each time, no suction, but motor runs. I let it run long enough to be be running dry, 30 secs to a minute. Pump is about 2 feet above water level. No check valves.
Try this....

Set your multiport valve to "recirculate" (that bypasses the filter for now) and set the suction side valves to pull from the main drain only (if that's possible).

Now, fill the pump basket with water as full as it can get, put the lid back on and start the pump. Don't worry that the basket empties of water almost immediately.....that's OK. Hopefully, you will see water start to trickl in to the pump basket slowly at first then in ever increasing volume. It is OK to run the pump unprimed for a couple of minutes. It's probably OK to run it longer than that but I don't want to suggest that. Hopefully your pump will prime in those 2 minutes (time it, or it will make you nervous :lol: )

Post back.

If it primes, shut off the pump and then re position the multiport to "filter" and then turn the pump back on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.