Hayward pump draing my water out on Filter setting

hagan

Sep 12, 2013
I have a two year old Hayward pump. I have noticed some water on the top. Now, when i turn it own, the pool water is draining out while my pump valve is on filter and or recirculate. I assume I have a gasket issue causing the water to drain out. Please help...advise what i can do . Model S22oT hayward pump with sand filter. 21 gal fiber glass salt water.

I think there's a little confusion on the terminology, so let's make sure we're understanding the problem. The Hayward S220T is your filter, and you're describing the multiport valve (handle) on top of the filter. Just to be clear, the leak is at the filter, and not at the pump, correct?

Second, assuming the above is correct, where exactly is the water coming from? There are several different issues that could be the problem, but they'll depend on where the water is leaving the system. Can you post a few pictures?

Yes, your correct. leaking from the top but mainly going out to waste while filter is running...i capped off the waste out so i could run the pump. Its holding pressure fine. i think some of the water backing back into the system is on the top plate. not much water coming out. just standing on top plate.

Attachments

• 2013-12-07 16 25 47.jpg
    2013-12-07 16 25 47.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 70
replace Key/Seal Assembly (Spider Gasket molded into Diverter) Part Number: SPX0714CA. Also replace the valve spring Part Number: SPX0603S as it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes the valve won't seal properly if the current spring isn't strong enough to apply the downward pressure to create the seal. Another thing you might want to look for is ANY debris where the gasket would be coming into contact with the plastic. A needle from a pine tree is enough to cause the filter to leak and once the debris are removed there might not be anything wrong with the parts.

The is how the gaskets looksSPO714C for the S244T2 sand filter. I saw a few pine needles. This gasket looks like it is part of the piece.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 39
  • gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 38
yeah that's the key/seal assembly. That part replaced spidergaskets in newer style filters. The molded white rubber and black plastic it is connected to is are one piece. I'm pretty sure they decided to go away from spidergaskets because they can fluff up and unseat which usually ends up ruining them. Since you found a few pine needles try putting it back together and see if it still leaks. If it still leaks replace that part and put in a new spring for good measure. If you look at the new key/seal side by side with a worn one you should see the difference in how the groves wear out and become more flat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.