Just Installed Pool - How long to wait until ground settles?

Dec 7, 2013
Hi-

I just installed a 20x32 free form vinyl pool in-ground. How long do I need to wait to install coping? When the installers back filled dirt around the pool, they indicated the ground would settle anywhere between 6-8" directly around the pool, which is occurring now.

How long should I wait in total before I start installing coping and pavers.

I live in southern New York state (Nanuet, Rockland county)

Thank you in advance!! :cool:

Re: Just Installed Pool - How long to wait until ground sett

Soil will settle a lot. Especially if it rains and gets lots of water. a 3 ft deep hole filled with soil is likely to settle considerably. Maybe even a good bit more than 6 or 8 inches, depending on how well (if any) it was compacted during the back filling.

If you can stand it, wait a couple of months (preferably more) and let it settle really well. In the meantime, water the devil out of it.. I mean a lot of water. Hope for lots of rain.
Water will help speed the process a LOT. I would not finish it off with soil either, its best to used gravel or sand to backfill. Especially if you are putting down pavers.

It rained 5 inches here the day after my pool was backfilled 3 weeks ago, and then got cold and more rain. So no concrete yet for me. My backfilll has settled well over a foot in a lot of places. I am happy about it too, because now I know there wont be a lot of settling under my concrete which would cause bad cracks over time where no cracks should be.

Re: Just Installed Pool - How long to wait until ground sett

If the pavers are not grouted, you can repair the settling. If your coping is grouted, I would wait as long as I could.

Dirt back fill is never good and, depending on the soil type, can take a year to settle adequately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.