Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question? Borates and Salt .... Borates or Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Question? Borates and Salt .... Borates or Salt

I'm going to add borates (20 Mule Team) this Sunday. Would it improve the water if I also added salt; say to 1500 ppm?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question? Borates and Salt .... Borates or Salt

Yes, both salt and borates together is better than either separately.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was also lookin to add salt for feel, but was concerned about corrosion. Or should I just go with Borats?
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

4. Back To Top    #4

There are hardly ever any corrosion issues with salt. When there are issues it usually involves natural stone work using one of the softer kinds of stone.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay guys . . . After reading all the comments on borates and salt I decided that I wanted to experience the benefits for myself.

I just finished adding all the chems to complete the proces of increasing borates to 40. I did it over two nights using a 4:1 ration between Borax and MA. I added everything around 10:00 p.m. and then checked my numbers the next morning around 5:00 a.m. It worked out great with reasonable fluctuations in pH and TA.

Today I added 440 lbs. of 99.6% salt and let the kids help get it dissolved. Within 30 minutes the pool was FANTASTIC!!!! It felt just like everyone described . . . silkier and softer. We have been swimming all afternoon and most of the evening. The kids loved the salt since they could open their eyes under water without goggles and it not make their eyes red. Also, my daughter made a comment that her face felt cleaner and my son said he had a scratch that remarkable disappeared. The pool seemed to just sparkle all afternoon and was just a joy to be in.

I am thrilled with my decision to do both the borates and salt. I am planning to get the borates up to 50 but wanted to get my test strips to verify my current level before adding more. As far as the salt goes, I think the current level is perfect!

Maybe my comments will help someone else make a more informed decision. I know reading other people's experience on this forum have really helped me make better, more informed decisions and I just wanted to continue the blessing.
    =================================
    38K In Ground True "L"
    Hayward Filter System ~ Big Boy
    Aquabot Bravo ~ Love It!
    Borates and Salt Water Believer!!
    Zeobrite and BBB All The Way!!!