Shelf life of vinyl liner?

chatcher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2007
Raceland, Kentucky
Through an error in the processing of my pool kit order last summer, I now have two new-in-box but one-year-old vinyl liners for my pool. For the past year they have been stored in their boxes in an unheated (and uncooled) barn. I am not sure how vinyl ages in these conditions -- hopefully I will have no age-related problems with the one I'll be installing in the next few weeks. But what about the second one? It would be nice to have a spare on hand, and I may be able to find a better place to store it if it would increase its "shelf life". Any ideas or comments? Any experiences installing an "old" liner?

I would think that after some time being in a uncontolled environement would somewhat weaken vinyl or possibly make it dry out and crack. If you can move it to a controlled environment. Like say, your laundry room or other area inside.

It makes sense that cool constant temperatures would probably be best. On the other hand, once installed in the pool it's going to see every extreme our weather can offer, but then again after years out in the weather a liner is in no condition to be installed. I think what causes a liner to lose flexibility and stretchiness is probably the evaporation of the solvents in the vinyl, and it's possible this will happen in storage at any temperature. Maybe I should seal it in plastic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.