Natural Chemical Free Swimming Pools?

Nov 29, 2013
Richmond VA
I have a question if anyone would own a natural swimming pool. A natural swimming pool is a swimming pool that sort of like a cross between a pond and a swimming pool where it depends on natural processes to keep it clean instead of poring chemicals into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_pool

The reason why I'm thinking about this idea is that they say that most swimming pools are only used 10% of the time while they spend the bulk of their time sitting around not being used by humans. But the average fish tank or fish pond spends a 100% of it's time being used by it's residents the fish. The idea would be to build a natural pond and use it to keep a few pet fish like six to eight cold water fish in it in it and even have a few large viewing windows in one side of it to look at the fish and people swimming it. As of now I have several large fish tanks set up with fish in them and the water stays pretty clear and I have plans of upgrading to a 500 gallon fish tank or have plans of building something the size of a small swimming pool. The reason why I'm thinking about this is that I like the idea of owning a swimming pool but I have worries that I might use it all the time to justify the expense of owning one with swimming it alone. But by making it into a summer time fish home or into a swimming pool super fish tank hybrid it could be worth while if I never go swimming in it in that nature would keep it clean.
File:Natural-kit-pool.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Natural-kit-pool.jpg

Reactions: Jefina
I've seen a bunch of those on youtube too. If you like the idea that's cool, but we won't be of much help to you here on the subject since we focus on a sterile as possible pool environment. I've swam in ponds and never had any problems like many, but I prefer a pool for a backyard swimming hole, and leaving the pond for fishin'.

Being a big fish and pool guy myself I know what you mean on wanting to swim with your fish! One thing I'm sure you know is, be careful with sun tan oils and other chemicals that could potentially harm your fish

I once did that once with a large air filled pool at the time where I set it up and filled it up with water. I had a seven inch pet Bluegill fish at the time who I took out of his tank and put him out there to live in to for a few weeks during the summer. I put no chemicals in it and changed a large mount of the water in it every few days. I brought the bluegill back inside when I upgraded from a 20 gallon fish tank to a 75 gallon fish tank. As for the current plans of the swimming pool giant fish tank hybrid idea I only plan on keeping maybe five to eight fish in it at anyone time. Such as if I where to have say 50 or 200 fish like in them crowded Kio ponds the fish waste would quickly overwhelm the water's cleanness. But by having say eight to five fish the fish would go around the pool and eat the bugs that try to show up in the pool.

As for this natural pool idea I plan on having it possibly in a green house like room or screened in porch or indoor room to keep animals and bugs and leaves along with people messing with it.

Here is a link to some natural swimming pools on this website http://www.inspirationgreen.com/natural ... ponds.html

I realize I'm joining in a bit late here, but I just happened to stumble upon this thread today. I haven't seen anything like in the OP with fish in it or anything like that, but one time I had to vac a pool with no filter that used no chemicals. It was an enormous old concrete pool, roughly 100x50. This pool was spring fed, so fresh water was constantly being fed into the pool and water was constantly flowing out of a spillway. It seemed to work, but with spring water, that pool was always cold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.