Storing Reagents Without Climate Control

Oct 14, 2013
Harare, Zimbabwe
Hi Again from Sunny Zimbabwe :wave:

My question is about the best place to store reagents.

Reason being I have just got my reagents through ( :whoot: very happy about this! more on this soon in another thread of mine...) and it has taken an extraordinary amount of $$$, time and planning, with a certain awesome person, who has forwarded them to me. To get them into this extremely finicky country, has been a learning experience for both of us on custom laws etc, to say the least!

I have read scores of posts on the best storage set up, but this specific option has never been mentioned that I can find. None of the rooms in my house are currently climate controlled, the best place to store them I think is in the wardrobe in the main bedroom. This is the coolest place in the house. Saying that it still get's very hot in the middle of the day in this room, as the ceiling fan doesn't operate due to load shedding (power cuts every day from 9am to 7pm) but its the best place I have been able to come up with.

My actual questions is: Will being inside a normal empty plastic cooler box help or hinder?

Thoughts/opinions very much, as always, received with great appreciation.

Cheers

Mike

It might help a little, but it certainly won't hinder you. I still think with your average temps the reagents should still last at least a year or more. Depending on what you test, you'll likely have more trouble re-stocking than having to worry about reagent shelf life.

Ok cool, cool box it is then, especially as I couldn't get the box the kit comes with in the mail as it was to big to fall within customs and duty rules here. As I am sure u know relationships between the two countries are lets just say "strained" ! So if its coming from the U.S. they wanna charge a ton of duty to stop people importing from you guys. As long it's below a certain size and weight however its free! Mine came in a total of 4 small boxes....

I was thinking the same thing hence why I got the XL kit and refills of CYA and FAS/DPD.

Thanks for the advice!!!! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.