Best pump for under $1K?

Dec 4, 2013
Hello,

I am currently entertaining the idea of replacing my pool pump (14000 gallon pool in Arizona).

Main goals:

1. Save electricity

2. Reduce noise

(Obviously, #1 and #2 only matter if the water is being circulated as it should!)

Wondering what everyone believes to be the best pump in this price range (< $1K)?

Read quite a bit lately about the Eco Pumps...just don't see enough actual reviews online...

Thank you for the input!

It depends, if you have an automation system you want a pump built by the same company that will talk to the automation controls. Then there is the question of what size pump do you need, variable or 2 speed. Variable speed saves a little on electricity, but costs a lot more, and tends to have a shorter service life.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should be able to get a pump for WAY under $1k. What is your cost for electricity? Do you get a rebate on VS pumps where you are located?

Do you have a spa or any water features?

Likely you could get a good small 2-speed pump for around $400 that will save a good bit of money and be very quiet by running on low speed most of the time.

I do not think the Eco Pumps get very good reviews on this forum.

Thank you for the responses. To answer a few of the questions:

1. 12 cents / kilowatt hour is the cost of our electricity.

2. No rebate from energy company (but thinking I can write it off on my taxes under energy efficient home improvements)

3. We do have a spa - which sits about 3 feet above the pool, and pours (filters) into the pool.

Variable speed seems like the best energy solution, but it would have to be programmable (in my mind).

In regards to brands, I'm not sure what is the best. I don't see that great of reviews (online) for really any of them (Hayward, Pentair, Jandy,

etc.)

Thoughts?

Thanks again -

With the cheap cost of your electricity and lack of rebate, likely you would never save more electricity with a VS pump over a 2-speed pump to recoup the added initial cost of the VS over a 2-speed. Although, the VS does offer flexibility with regards to dialing in your desired flow rates.

What pump and motor do you currently have? With a spa, you would not likely want to go with a smaller pump or the jets would suffer. The cheapest route forward would likely be just replacing your existing motor with a 2-speed motor and keeping the existing pump.

Do NOT believe the online calculators that show a crazy amount of electrical savings on the manufacturers websites ... they are not comparing apples to apples and greatly over exaggerate.

Thanks for the input, Jason.

Understood about the return on investment with low cost of electricity and lack of rebate.

The pump that I currently have is a Hayward 2.5 HP unit, probably 5-7 years old (I don't have model number off hand).

Seems to work OK, but it is REALLY loud, and I do know that for running it only 7-8 hours per day, the cost of operation

is significant (I know this simply because we remodeled the pool this year, and the month I didn't have my pool running, my

electric bill was basically $60 - 70 less / month than usual...

From what I read, the 2.5 HP motor seems like overkill from a 14000 gallon pool / spa...

What is the pump line? (e.g. TriStar, NorthStar, SuperPump, etc)

Or post a picture.

You may be able to just replace the motor and impeller (maybe diffuser) and have a more efficient pump for less than $400. Plus you don't need to change the plumbing.

With a spa, depending on how the plumbing was done, the 2.5HP may be required to have adequate jet action. You have to size the pump for the spa. The advantage of switching to a 2-speed motor would be that you run on low speed for all filtration and only run on high for using the spa or vacuuming, backwashing, etc.

On low they are VERY quiet and even on high it would likely be quieter than what you have now (could be failing bearings).

Also realize that not all pumps are created equal. Even though 2 pumps have the same HP motor, they may move very different amounts of water (and thus use different amounts of electricity). In the Hayward line, the Super Pumps are a smaller pump than the Super II Pumps ... even though they may have the same motor, the Super Pump will move less water and use less electricity.

So, we need to know specifics about what you currently have (maybe pictures of the pump and motor label) and whether you like the spa jets as they are now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.