freezing temps are coming

Jul 17, 2013
Midwest City, OK
I just bought a house/pool (August) and this is my first winter as a pool owner. I thought I'd let the people who installed the pool close for me this first year, and I would learn from them. Question, does their skimmer solution sound like I'll be ok for the winter? I'm in Oklahoma and it's supposed to be 6 degrees in a couple of days..

They closed by putting a plastic bottle, filled with anti-freeze, into the skimmer. I asked about draining the water below the skimmer level; they responded that it is better to leave the water level at the tile height (the tiles above the gunite) because if ice is going to break something then the tiles are easier to replace than the gunite. They said the skimmer would be ok because the anti-freeze bottle would take the expanding ice and not the plastic skimmer.

I see in one of TFP's in-ground pool closing threads - "Drain - Pump the water down till it is about four inches below the bottom of the returns."

TFP has been my guide so far and it looks like my pool store closed differently than is recommended here. Will I be ok, or should I drain?

I'm getting nervous as winter is almost here.
thanks
Mike

A lot of closing depends on how cold and, importantly, for how long.

One night of 6 degrees won't hurt much. 20 nights in a row is completely different.

What did they do for your equipment? Drain the pipes? Drain the Filter?

Welcome to TFP.

It's common practice to use jugs, foam, etc. in the skimmer to absorb any expansion from ice. I'd say you're fine the way it is. Any damage you may have is on them since they closed it, so they usually do enough to prevent any damage.

The weather usually only reaches single digits 3 or 4 times a year. But we have had periods where it has stayed below freezing for 20+days, but that's not the norm.

The closing procedure: They blew the system out, plugging the skimmers and outlets until there was only bubbles coming from the drain.
Then closed the valves, released water from the pumps and filter. Put a 32 oz bottle with anti-freeze into each skimmer (2).

I guess I just need some assurance or direction. :)

Thanks for the quick replies.
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.