Pressure gauge and DE issue

luria8

May 20, 2013
Lancaster, TX
This may sound weird or not, either way I hope someone can help me. I am getting DE back into our pool. We replaced the grids, made sure all are installed correctly, checked the manifold and the air release hose attached in the manifold. Our pressure reads at 15. We've had to remove the DE manually by vacuuming the pool. Until just a few minutes ago my hubby notice that if he DOES NOT closes or tightens the pressure gauge (push up/down kind) completely the flow of DE that you see returning to the pool stops. When i say tightens the gauge, I mean it is close with no water or air bleeding out. Is this part of my issue with the DE getting back into the pool? Or what can be the issue?

I can't really picture the problem in my head. I would not think the gauge would cause that problem. It should be on the pressure or dirty side of the filter. I would still look for a problem in the grid of manifold.

"Dirty" water enters the filter and hits the DE. As the water is filtered through the DE it goes into the grids and out the manifold as clean water and back to the pool. As the DE on the outside of the grids get clogged the pressure rises. So the gauge should be on the dirty side of the grids. You are some how getting DE inside the grids or the manifold before it leaves the filter and back to the pool. What model filter is this.

The pressure gauge manifold on those filters is also an air bleed. If that's correct then you're saying that if it's left open a little the DE doesn't return to the pool?
Is the DE going out the return or is it backing out the skimmer, etc. when you shut the pump off?

Here are some pictures of my system... Please help me and let me know it there is something weird about it.

Richard320 i dont think we put DE in backwash mode... We always put it in in filter mode. Thats is the correct way right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 32

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it was backing out the skimmer when the pump was shut off, I'd say you have an air leak and by leaving the air purge open it kept it from building up. However, you say that it comes out the returns when the pump is running. That has to be something wrong in the filter or multiport valve. Leaving the air bleed open should have no effect on that.

The pics help. You have a multi-port valve and not a slide (push/pull) valve so you were calling the pressure gauge correctly.

Do you know for a dead fact the material returning into the pool is DE?

Yes it is DE once I stir it, it looks dusty and starts clouding up the water then settles to the bottom of the pool. There might be some dead algae along with that, but it usually floats up and we try to catch it before going into the skimmer. Im considering having a pro to take a look at it since i cant find the issue. The hubby and I tried everything. In case there was an air leak that we missed. Could that be the case of DE returning back into the pool?

No, an air leak will be unrelated to DE getting back into the pool....although it does sound like you have one and need to track it down.

Since the DE sits on the grids and is getting back to the pool, the trouble certainly would seem to be in your filter. Grids can often be misaligned, damaged or something else in the filter not sealing correctly to let the DE get through.

Ok i will try the sock to get a better eye on the dust (DE that Ive been talking about). I will try to reinspect the filters and assembly to make sure all is good. We are expecting a winterstorm by tomorrow here in the Dallas, Texas area. So i hope we get to it by today!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.