Sun Room / Solarium ?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Has anyone here added a glassed in sun room / solarium to their existing house. I am looking into closing in a 10 x 25 ft covered porch area with an arched glass wall (hopefully extending it to be about a 15x25 ft area to make a sun room, and was wondering what your experience is with this type of project.

Thanks Ike

Hi Isaac! I added a four-season sunroom in 2005. It's not a solarium so it has a roof but all 3 walls are glass windows that slide open. Patio Enclosures did mine but I had them do a little different of a room than what they were used to doing. When I built my house in 2002 I had a 15x30 concrete patio laid knowing I wanted to do that. It's 17x15, so I didn't use the whole pad so I could have room for a grill and such. I have a 2-ft knee wall that is T-111 on the inside and siding to match the house on the outside. I had them bead-board the ceiling, which they had never done before. At the time, I carpeted it. Just last Fall I had it tiled in the tiles that look like wood. It looks awesome! I'll get some pics together to show you. I would definitely advise doing it. It has its own heating/air unit....kinda like what is in hotel rooms. I love it! Even in Winter, all my plants are out there and I look out onto the pool.

Sorry it has taken so long to get these together! Here a few pics of what I have done. The initial cost of this was 20K. The floor I have added in the last year was right @ 2K installed.

100_0103.jpg~original

I have a 12 x 25 sun room with a normal roof, much like above. Be VERY aware of the sun angle and directional exposure throughout the year.

I helps us somewhat in the winter but we have to pay it back when the summer sun comes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.