Green water

Apr 3, 2008
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've had to come here. The BBB method has worked soooooooooo well and I rave about this site to anyone who asks about the pool. So here's my situation.

I've been mostly good about keeping a constant level of chlorine in the pool. I'd asy in the past month or so i've had a few days that I forgot to do this. This week the water :

1. Has turned a light green color. (still clear-ish though)
2. I have a ton of brown (looks like small patches of fine brown dirt that embeds itself in the divits in the pool floor)

My levels as of last night were the following :

FC : 8
PH : 7.6
CYA : 45
ALK : 100

Woke up this morning and the levels are still the same. So clearly my question is related to the green water. I'd assume it's algae cuz hey, it's green :).

1. Am I right about that (it being algae) ?
2. Also, if it is algae, why do the FC levels remain in tact. I had gotten the impression that the algae would eat away at the FC. ?
3. Besides shocking my 10K pool to an FC level of 16 , is there anything else I should be doing, clarifier, floc ? .

Thanks guys
-S

Thanks. I will do that.

As for the "fine brown silty dirt". Does anyone know how you can get rid of that? My vacuum is clearly pickit up and then it must be too fine for my sand filter to catch it. Any ideas ?

-S

The "brown dirt" is probably dead algae. The filter is very likely catching it, but new dead algae is appearing as the algae fights with the chlorine. Try going up to shock level for a while, that should kill all of it and then it should stop reappearing.

Update :

Got the levels up to about 16-18 last night for a few hours. Went to bed. Woke up at 5am and tested. FC was down to 10. Added enough to make it 18 (figured sun would burn off 2ppm so was compensating to meet the goal of 16FC). I'll be curious to see how much it is down when i get home today. Some questions:

1. What is the highest I can go (ppm) of chorine in my vinyl pool ?
2. Do you think that my pool is close to being clear (goal is by 4th of July) based on what I'm doing with trying to put in FC 16+ every night.
3. How often should I brush the pool ? once a day, 2x ?

Thanks guys,

Scott

I wouldn't take FC above 27, and it is best if you keep it lower than that.

If you are consistent with shocking and nothing is wrong with your filter the pool should be fine by July 4th.

I recommend brushing once a day, but more can help.

Also, keep an eye on your filter pressure and backwash/clean as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.