Too many to list! Pool school was far too basic; there's not even a discussion of pros and cons of various pump options.
I'm pretty sold on solar heat, but need some advice on DIY and brand specific pros and cons. The systems seem easy to DIY, except I'm not sure how to ensure I'm screwing into rafters.
I'm also sold on salt water generator. Just need some brand specific pros and cons.
All that said, in other endeavors I've really liked reading how to books to get a handle on a subject. They're no replacement for experience, but a good place to start...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not aware of any books that will provide what you are looking for.
But, there is a lot of information is past threads if you search for it.

If you ask specific questions ... no matter how many ... then you will get specific answers. BUT, you may be getting too picky. As long as you stick with any of the major brands, pumps, filters, SWG, etc are pretty comparable and often there is no "best" just personal preference.

Here are a couple tidbits that may or may not help:
- Raypac gas heaters seem to have a good rep here
- Pentair SWGs are limited to 20% increments ... unless you have one of their automation systems and then you get better control
- If your electricity is relatively cheap and you do not need a lot of varying water flow rates, often a 2-speem pumps makes more sense than a VS pump

There are just a lot of "it depends" answers to many questions when there is not enough information.

If there is/are a book(s) out there you'll find more information here than in any two of them combined. Good forums are plentiful in terms of information from all directions and this is the best pool forum on the net. If you look around and ask enough questions, you will surely find what you are looking for.

jblizzle said:
- If your electricity is relatively cheap and you do not need a lot of varying water flow rates, often a 2-speem pumps makes more sense than a VS pump

Are there 2-speed pumps that are more efficient than others? In other words, VS or 2-speed are the categories, is there much variation within the category or are they all pretty close? I read something about the design of the motors being a factor...

The electrical costs are really a function of the amount of water moved. All pumps with the same HP rating are not equal as some are designed to move less water. For example the Superflo lines of pumps is smaller than the Whisperflo line of pumps from Pentair.

Every pump has a performance curve and if the curves are the same then the pump is basically the same.

I will only add one more thing. You mention experience, and that is what you find in forums. There are already people talking about it, and dealing with it who have had the experience, and shared that info in the forums. If you so some reading, you can find lots of variation from real world use from many people versus the opinions and experience of one author.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.