Pool plumbing under or beside the pool

We are still comparing builders for our pool and wanted to get some input on the plumbing.

Most of the pool builders north of Dallas put their plumbing beside the pool, I've got one builder who puts it under the pool. Which makes me wonder if beside the pool is better.

Thoughts/opinions?

Are you talking about having a main drain on the pool bottom which would require a pipe to pump?

Or perhaps one of the builders is suggesting an in-floor cleaning system which also requires pipes under the pool as well?

Pool plumbing can be properly designed without either of those things which would be my suggestion. Keep it simple and easy to repair which will make it less of headache in the future.

What kind of pool is this (AG, IG, Gunite, Vinyl, Fiberglass) and why do they want to put the plumbing under the pool?

There is no reason that I can think of to put ALL the plumbing under a pool and many reasons not to.

I am guessing I know the PB you are talking to. I am considering them also, and this is also one of my concerns about them.

Their argument is that the lines are run more directly (instead of snaking around the pool), and that it guards plumbing run around the pool from getting damaged by digging, roots, etc. I just don't like that they choose to do it differently than almost everyone else.

Gunite inground as a builder there is no way that I would put the plumbing under the shell in my local area. That being said where you live you may not deal with freeze and thaw, but I do just to much risk of damage to it. If it is buried alongside of the pool most generally anyone who is going to dig around a pool knows that plumbing is buried close by. Not sure I get his thinking, I wouldn't even recommend it on a vinyl lined pool. If you ever have to access it that will be extremely expensive to fix.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow save $20 in PVC vs spend $20,000 if a line breaks, if it were me I would run, not walk away from that one. Note I have experienced 2 underground pipe breaks in the 30+ year history of my pool, one a random joint failure after about 20 years, the other an corner elbow fitting that blew out after about 30 years.

Ike

I wouldn't necessarily say its a bad thing. Most of the plumbing will be encased in gunite. With the soils in north Texas, you will be much more likely to have a pipe failure outside the gunite.

Now in the extremely rare case that there is a failure, it's much more difficult to get to the plumbing. Most of us have a significant amount of plumbing in our house foundations and that doesn't stop us from purchasing our homes.

The direct route method is definitely a cheaper route, but RBS is also going to give you a better price. They are a volume builder with an in house plumbing crew.

It is just surprising to me, as PVC is not THAT expensive. If they thought it was an issue, they likely wouldn't do it. But, if the practice causes done people to shy away from them because they are different than virtually everyone else, I would think they would stop doing it this way. So, it leads me to believe they may actually see benefit in that method of plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more so that they don't see any issues with the method. They've been doing it this way for a long time and they build 600 pools a year. They also include a 10 yr warranty on the plumbing.

It's no doubt quicker and cheaper for them. It may not be everyone's preferred method, but certainly not a reason to walk away from a deal.

Warranties are only as good as long as the PB stays in business and if the PB keeps building pools that way, it won't be for long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.