Help with skimmers

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Hi,

Newbie here! I have a 30K gallon pool with 2 skimmers. Lately, the pump has been louder than normal but not the screaming that bad bearings make (actually had these replaced just a few months ago). I ended up looking in the skimmers (have 2) and found two pvc lines at the bottom of each skimmer. One in each clearly has suction and these seem to be working just fine. However, the line appears to do nothing and it looks like one is clogged. I can feel debris in the line and with the pump off, if I try to clear the line, it clouds the water in the skimmer. What is this 2nd line for? How should I unclog it?

Thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Only one hole from each skimmer is plumbed to the pump. The other hole (if it is not capped) is either plumbed to the floor drain or an equalizer line which is just a pipe that runs down and through the side of the pool as an alternate source of water if the pool level dropped below the skimmer.

But, the suction from the floor or equalizer line will only work if you have a skimmer float diverter installed on the bottom of the skimmer below the basket.

I have two skimmers in my pool. One has a suction and equalizer line as described in the previous post. The other skimmer has a suction line and the second line is a 'dead end' 18" pipe that should have been capped but was not. In other words, without a cap, it has dirt in it as your does.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.