Do I need to add algaecide twice -- 2nd time being now?

Dec 1, 2013
My pool cleaner guy is saying that he needs to add algaecide again -- that even though he threw it in when closing -- because the cover is porous, he needs to add in more at Thanksgiving and Easter. Is this a nice way to make an extra 50 or 75 bucks, or is this really going to help? I don't see how algae is going to do very well in the winter months -- I live in the Boston area.

Thanks!

TGB

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With the cold water temperature you likely have, depending on how the pool was closed, you should not need extra algaecide (you should not need any at all ever actually).

I would suggest reading a lot in this forum over the winter, especially Pool School. You should be able to learn to take care of the pool yourself and save a good bit of money.

woodyp said:
Save the money and spend it on turkey and ham respectively.

Thanks, guys! I will say that I've had algae problems in the past when getting lazy about adding shock, but that's in the summer. Seemed bizarre to me that there should be an issue when the average temp will drop to 35 degrees.

I will *definitely* come back here in the spring and figure out how me and my Pool Girl (i.e., gf that wishes she were a fish) can do all the maintenance on our own! (FYI, 12,000 gallon or so gunite pool, odd triangular shape which means I'll have questions about whether it's possible to find an automatic pool vacuum that will actually work ...)

Welcome to tfp, TheGrumpyBuddha :wave:

TheGrumpyBuddha said:
Thanks, guys! I will say that I've had algae problems in the past when getting lazy about adding shock, but that's in the summer.
Make sure you study up in "pool school", link is always near upper right of page. Also take this time as an opportunity to get an appropriate test kit so you are ready to go when your water temp goes back above 60F. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Certainly spend some time reading Pool School. You will learn that if you maintain adequate chlorine (FC) ... which is a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level (see FC/CYA Chart) ... then algae can not start to grow. There is never a need for algaecide or a need to do a "weekly shock" as pool stores would have you believe.

When you open or if you every see algae, then you need to follow the SLAM Process which will safely clear up your pool.

If you are serious about taking control, then the second investment you will need to make (after committing to reading and learning) is to order one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Here are a couple articles to get you started:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Adding a "shock" product on anything remotely like a regular basis while common practice is another sign of a pool that is out of balance and not being well maintained, many of us here go for years without needing to go through a shock process (we call it SLAM to differentiate from the "shock" products on the market), and only do it after unexpected events (storm water in the pool, prolonged equipment failure, or possibly on opening in the spring if algae grew over the winter). So like the others said, take some time this winter and read the pool school link in the upper right a few times (most people get more out of it the 2nd or 3rd time through), and invest in a good test kit.

Ike

I was a new pool owner this year. When the pool had its first fill I added two things, enough stabilizer (CYA) to get me to 40 ppm and bleach. All I added the rest of the season everyday was bleach to keep my FC levels between 3-7 ppm and never let it fall below 3 ppm. Never had an algae outbreak. PH levels were between 7.2-7.4 all season. No need to fix that. Never had to add anything but bleach. Water was perfect.
The whole key to preventing algae is maintaing the proper FC levels to your CYA levels. IMO that's the bottom line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.