LO alert on new heater.

Jun 23, 2012
St Pete FL
So have a 20,000 gal pebble tec finish pool and spa with paper filter that had a new Hayward heater installed. Since installing it the heater starts, runs and after 10 minutes or so shuts off and says LO. Service light also comes on. Told by Pinch a Penny (who did install) it may be a bad filter and to bypass filter and see if it still does that. Only way I know to bypass filter is to take filter out of housing and turn pump back on. Is this correct or is there something else that should be done to bypass it? The filter is not brand new but it is new enough it should not be a problem.
I took filter out of housing turned pump back on and LO alert came back on again after some time. Also does it when you switch from pool to spa.
Help, opinions and or suggestions.
Thanks.

Is this a hayward universal h-series heater? I don't see it in your signature, but if it is "LO" means low flow. The heater isn't getting enough flow from your pump. If you have a two speed or variable speed pump try putting the pump in higher speeds. Then run the heater again and let it clear the error. For me, I needed about 1750 rpm on my ecostar otherwise the "LO" would trip on my heater after a couple minutes.

Yes it is a Hayward heater and I figured it was low flow of water to the system. I do not believe it is a variable speed heater. How do I know that?
Not in my signature because it is a neighbor across the street that moved to San Fran and I am trying to maintain the pool for him while they are gone and renting the house!!! It has become quite a chore and trying to be patient and not throw in the towel!!!

lilpam14 said:
Yes it is a Hayward heater and I figured it was low flow of water to the system. I do not believe it is a variable speed heater. How do I know that?
Not in my signature because it is a neighbor across the street that moved to San Fran and I am trying to maintain the pool for him while they are gone and renting the house!!! It has become quite a chore and trying to be patient and not throw in the towel!!!

Not the heater, but the pump that pushes the water through the filter to the heater. What is the model of the pump? If you don't know, you can take a picture of the pump label and post it here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.