PROBLEM WITH HEAVY RAIN

Jun 25, 2013
greece
Hello everybody.
I have a special problem that I need some expert opinion. I have an inground plaster pool with an overflow perimeter canal and a SWG , automatic ph regulator, sand filter to witch I add DE. This is my first winter. Every time after a heavy rain my pool becomes extremelly cloudy. I followed the SLAM procedure the first time three weeks ago and after working the pump 24/7 the pool cleared up after 4 days. Ever since my FC is 25 ,with CYA 55, ph 7.6 TA 80, CH 320, salt 3400 constanly ( SWG minimum dial -pump 24/7 and water temp 16 Celcius) for the last 3 weeks, but since we get a lot of rain here in southwestern greece the pool got very cloudy again. I suspect that all the rain water from the concrete around the pool (along with a lot of dirt apparently) gets in the overflow canal and consequently in the pool. Could I shutt off the overflow operation and just recirculate the pool water? Is it normal for a pool to be this cloudy after 2 weeks of heavy rain? Remember I run the pump 24/7 and have FC way above shock level for my CYA the entrire time. Thanks for any help..

Rain by itself shouldn't make a pool cloudy. There are a few of us here that intentionally divert rainwater into the pool for free top offs.

I can think of two possibilities. First, the FC is too low for the CYA level, allowing algae to start when the rain hits. Since you said this isn't the case, you're likely suffering from number two, which is mechanical entry of dirt/sediment/debris. Can you post a picture of your setup? If the ground is sloped toward the pool and during heavy rain, you have runoff running into the pool, that would definitely make for cloudy water. How old is the pool?

I have a couple of questions for you. Are you testing the water right after the heavy rains? Are you using the SWG to slam the pool? Are you adjusting the other chemicals after the rains?

Rain can wash a lot of debris into the pool and quickly consume the chlorine. Chlorine and other chemicals are also diluted by the heavy rains, so there is less chlorine present to fight the storm debris.

Adding to what's been said, rain should have little affect in a properly chlorinated pool.

Surface water that is allowed to drain into the pool is a completely different scenario and will affect the pool dramatically.

If you have runoff water finding it's way into the pool, that must be corrected our your pool water will suffer constantly.

thanks everybody for the quick replies.
1) zea: FC is about 35 measured before, during and after the rain,with the SWG set at minimun and the pump 24/7, after an initial raise to 25 with 13% bleach 3 weeks ago. I will shut the SWG off for a week to let the FC drop...
2) duraleigh, Smykowski:The pool is 6 years old and unfortunatelly run off water does find its way to the perimeter overflow canal since the perimeter surface has a tilt of 1cm towards the pool. (You can see part of the pool in my profile picture)

I have stopped using the perimeter overflow canal 2 days ago and now I am recirculating just pool water. The perimeter canal water (with the rain runoff water) should now be going to the overflow chamber and from there to waste. The pool has started to look a lot better but we had 2 days of sunshine. I will let you know after the next heavy rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.