Hayward Sand Filter Pressure problems...

bcpool

Nov 27, 2013
Hi. I have a Hayward sand filter on my pool and currently the pressure gauge is reading over 50PSI when turned on. I have backwashed and the pressure does not drop. When I turn the filter off, the pressure only drops to 30PSI, not 0. I can also hear a gurgling or some type of sound at the top of the filter when it is turned off. And when I turn it on, there is water running down the filter. Do I need to change my sand? Or do I need to replace the gauge since it is going all the way to 0? The gurgling and water running down concern me that sand is causing pressure build up and needs to be removed/replaced. We have had our pool around 3 years and keep it open year round as it is enclosed. Our equipment is in an enclosed pump house. Normally we keep the pump/filter running all the time when it is cold, but it did drop down below 30 degrees suddenly and I forgot to leave the pump/filter running. Water is still coming out of the jets, so I don't think there is a freezing problem, but just wanting to make sure there isn't frozen sand inside the filter causing pressure build up.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We try to swim everyday as I use it for therapy for health problems.

Thank you!

Sorry here is some more info. on our pool:

14 x 32 fiberglass inground pool, around 10,000 gallons.

The water does seem to run down around the seal or top part of filter, not leaving from the bottom or anything....and the water only runs down at initial start of the filter, almost like it's letting out some pressure and water leaks out, not sure. It doesn't do it all the time, but right now the gurgling sound is there even when everything is turned off.

So, I need to replace the gauge, but what about the sand? And can I run the pool right now while I am waiting on getting a gauge here?

Thanks!

Welcome to tfp, bcpool :wave:

It sounds like your filter is leaking somewhere letting air in when the pump is off and letting water out when the pump is on. What brand/model do you have?

Replace the gauge.

There are very few reasons to ever replace sand. If you want to check your sand and clean out the filter you can follow these instructions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

bcpool said:
And can I run the pool right now while I am waiting on getting a gauge here?
Yes, but find the leak and get it fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.