Pump makes a squealing nosie from cold start

Jul 11, 2013
Oklahoma City
I purchased and installed a new Hayward SP2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Max-Rated Single-Speed Pool Pump in May of this year, for 15k gallon in-ground pool, it runs on timer for ~14hrs per day and has worked perfectly.

Middle of September I partially close the pool, add closing chemicals and cover it, half the cover is raised above the water and the skimmer works perfectly. I tested everything, pump runs, everything works fine.

We have recently had a cold snap, so decided to leave the pump running over night (the pipes are insulated, and the filter/pump is covered and in a sheltered place, but I was playing safe) to ensure some frost protection, works fine, until the other day, when I heard a squealing noise coming from the pump, it never once made this sound during the summer.

The symptoms are this

After the pump has been OFF for awhile (several hours) and it turns on it will make a squealing noise
After the pump has been ON for awhile (> than 30mins or so), most of the time the noise goes way

It seems that after the motor has cooled down the squealing comes back, but I'm not certain of this.

Any ideas as to what this could be causing this? It is not that old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.