reagent life

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
Hi folks, I apologize for being lazy...I imagine there are posts on this somewhere here already, but I'm going to ask...

My Taylor K-2006 kit is now a year old. The chlorine and pH level reagents have already been replaced, and will be again soon, as those are used the most often of course. But I'm wondering about some of the other reagents, such as the ones used for CH and TA testing. I have a reasonable amount these reagents left, but at the one year point should I be replacing them as well? I've kept the reagents in the plastic kit case and out of direct sun or heat, so their "environmental conditions" have been pretty good. Should I keep using them until something seems obviously wrong with them, or replace them at 1 year (or some longer interval) automatically?

Thanks,
Greg

The regent that should be replaced the most frequetly is the FAS titrant. Definitely replace it if it ever develops a color and is no longer clear. The DPD powder should be good unless it has turned black. The other reagents should last at least a few years, particularly if you store the kit in an air conditioned area. If you are stroring the kit outside where it is exposed to hot or freezing conditions then I would replace ALL the reagents yearly.

Waterbear, thanks for the info. I'm really glad I asked before going and replacing everything. I've kept the reagents away from any extremes, so I'll hang onto what I have, and I'll keep your guidelines in mind for the future.

Thanks again,
Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.