Completed Lagoon Syle Pool - Conroe TX

Oct 24, 2013
Conroe, TX
After getting into the nitty gritty with 4 pool builders we decided on Platinum Pools last week!

No the cheapest but we liked the added security of having a large company with a good reputation do the work. Cody Pools was a great second but platinum gave us a larger pool and waterfall for the same price.

I started with my own design which i sent to the builders we selected from Yelp/BBB/Google+ reviews.

Yes, NO spa! We are not "spa people" and would simply never use it.

My wife and I changed our view on what we wanted to pool to look like by talking to the different builders and banking of their experiences. Some changes we made:

- Eliminated the slide --> stupid expensive for what is in fact a novelty and would probably not be used much after the novelty wore off

- Eliminated beach entry and replaced with tanning ledge with gushers --> talking to some 'beach entry owners' found out that its a hot spot for critters to drink and for dirt to accumulate. Also PebbleTech (or similar different brands) cant be permanently out of the water. The beach entry would have to be made out of flagstone or something, which we didn't like. it breaks up the look of the pool and also increases the cost.

- Eliminated the tanning ledge on the left side --> We don't need two tanning ledges and this gives us more swimming real estate

- Eliminated planter next to the pool --> no need for extra dirt/leaves etc in the pool

- Eliminated benches under the waterfall --> we have kids who will inevitably jump off the waterfall and benches would cause a hazard.

- Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (and PV3 system tons of returns etc)

- Eliminated gas fire pit --> decided that $4000 was not worth it (long gas run) and that we like wood better anyway

- Eliminated any outdoor kitchen and living area plans for now. We want to have the pool built and then decide where all that fits best.

After a number of iterations with Platinum Pools, we signed off on this design:

:whoot: :whoot:

The specs of the pool are:
- max length: 41ft
- max width: 24.5ft
- depth: 3.5 - 8ft
- 110ft perimeter
- area: 714 sqft
- volume: >25000 gallons
- PV3 Infloor cleaning system
- Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Chilean Beach Gold
- 1341 sqft of concrete deck with Textured spay on coating
- 10 ton moss rock waterfall
- LED lighting

We move into the house in December. We should be ready to start in January!

Re: New Pool - Conroe TX

s9601694 said:
- Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (Ozone + UV = huge reduction in chlorine use)
This information you have gotten is bad. Your pool will generally not use less chlorine with ozone and uv, in fact it might actually use more. What ozone and uv do for you in an outdoor pool is seperate you from your money :mrgreen: ...kidding aside, there is no need for ozone or uv in a typical outdoor residential pool.

As to the Saltwater chlorine generator (swg), if you are using a lot of natural stone, then a swg may not be the best choice...however equipment warranties will not be eliminated.

linen said:
s9601694 said:
- Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (Ozone + UV = huge reduction in chlorine use)
This information you have gotten is bad. Your pool will generally not use less chlorine with ozone and uv, in fact it might actually use more. What ozone and uv do for you in an outdoor pool is seperate you from your money :mrgreen: ...kidding aside, there is no need for ozone or uv in a typical outdoor residential pool.

As to the Saltwater chlorine generator (swg), if you are using a lot of natural stone, then a swg may not be the best choice...however equipment warranties will not be eliminated.

Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also. In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't going to impact it much and i'm going to keep it in.

I understood that the pump manufacturer will void its warranty with a salt water pool.

s9601694 said:
I understood that the pump manufacturer will void its warranty with a salt water pool.
Which manufacturer? Pentair and Hayward do not...and I am not aware of others that do.

s9601694 said:
Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also.
Where and what? There is a lot of misinformation out there.

I will be following this build closely. I'm meeting with both Cody Pools and Platinum pools in January to get quotes.

Please let me know if you run into any problems/concerns (also any positves) :cyclopsani:

Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also. In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't going to impact it much and i'm going to keep it in.
That is certainly your call and there is no harm in using UV + ozone. (there is also little benefit)

The problem you will run into is maintaining FC as low as they say you can and not get algae.....most owners aren't able to do that. You can google "alternative sanitizers" on here if you are interested.

Platinum Pool built our pool. Was happy with the work they did. No problems too date on the pool or equipment. I chose them much for the same reason you did. I recommend the Iaqualink. It has been awesome. Recently added a liquidator and shut off the chlorinator they installed. Good luck with the build. Lots of decisions and patient testing!

Hello from Pearland Tx,

Thanks for posting build! I will be following this thread as we just had our first meeting with Cody PB. Needless to say we were impressed but we are still trying to recover from sticker shock.

We will be scheduling an appointment with Platinum pools soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

rodog123 said:
Hello from Pearland Tx,

Thanks for posting build! I will be following this thread as we just had our first meeting with Cody PB. Needless to say we were impressed but we are still trying to recover from sticker shock.

We will be scheduling an appointment with Platinum pools soon.

Did you meet with Cory at Cody Pools? Good guy. We were looking forward to work with him.. But at the end of the day its value for money and in our case Platinum beat Cody..

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Agree 100% on the wood fire and no spa. I've taken some flak from people about how much we will regret not putting one in. I think the novelty wears off those too myself, certainly for the extra hassle, equipment, and cost. Wood fire...much better than watching a gas flame dance around IMO. Look forward to following your build.

Like the others have said about the only thing a UV and Ozone system does for a typical outdoor pool is separate the owners from their money. UV and Ozone systems do have their place (indoor and high volume, high temperature therapy pools come to mind), but that place is not in a typical outdoor residential pool. The marketing for these systems are full of half truths, in a correctly balanced pool that does not have algae trying to grow in it they will typically increase chlorine use, only in a pool where you have algae growing and you are dumping in chlorine trying to kill it will they actually reduce the chlorine amount needed. Also UV and Ozone are no substitute for chlorine since they only kill things that pass through the UV cell or the ozone injection point, EPA rules require all Ozone on these systems to be fully inactive by the time the water reaches the return plumbing fitting, so they do nothing to help kill the stuff clinging to the sides of the pool.

Ike

s9601694 said:
- Eliminated the slide --> stupid expensive for what is in fact a novelty and would probably not be used much after the novelty wore off
Nooooooooo, say it's not so! Slide's are awesome!! :mrgreen:
I'm only kidding they really are quite expensive (I'm just biased as I have one and love it). We only had a few weeks of use of ours before the season ended but our 2 yr old (and his friends) absolutely loved it. I reckon we've got a good few years of it being used before he gets a bit older and won't want to use it any more.

Pool design looks great! Looks like you have a massive waterfall planned - it's going to be fantastic!
Congrats on getting the approval from the HOA - looking forward to seeing progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.